Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog loo's

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Dawn_B, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Dawn_B

Dawn_B PetForums Newbie

Quick wave to everyone as I'm new

Has anyone used dog loo's to environmentally dispose of their dog waste?

If so how did you find them?

I'm finding using the corn starch bags and just throwing them away is starting to worry me - happy hippy environmentalist that I am!:D

dxx

2. sskmick

sskmick PetForums VIP

Hi Dawn

We have a plastic dog loo that my husband installed (dug into the garden!). Its okay and does the job. Ideally you will need a hose pipe otherwise you will be running backwards and forwards with buckets of water. Ours is concealed with hardy annual plants which haven't been affected by the bi-products.

We have had the dog loo for about 2.5 years and it doesn't smell. Provided you stick to the instructions you shouldn't have a problem.

Sue

3. AJ

AJ Guest

I've seen these in the shops but never really looked at them. How do they work?

4. sskmick

sskmick PetForums VIP

Basically its a plastic bucket with open slots from about a quarter way up the bucket to about a quarter way from the top of the bucket. You have to dig a large enough hole in the ground, place the bucket in the hole and secure the bucket in place with large stones up to the top of the slot for drainage then top up with soil so the bucket is firmly in place.

Mine is slightly different to the one in the Argos book. With mine you fill the bottom part of the bucket with water and add the chemical solution place the waste matter in and it basically dissolves it. I add a capful of the chemical every day and clean out once a week using continuous water from the hose pipe.

This sounds disgusting but it works quicker and better with fresh waste matter.

I'm not sure how the one in the Argos book would work because the mixture of water and chemicals would constantly drain away unless there is something within the bucket where it would dissolve and then be released for drainage.

The instructions suggest they can be used for up to two dogs, I'm not sure.

Please accept my apologies if this post is too graphic.

Sue

5. AJ

AJ Guest

Lol, no its not, I asked the question after all! Think I'll have to come back and read that again when I'm not so tired!

6. NikiJackson

NikiJackson PetForums Newbie

We just got one as I too am worried about the amount of baggies I am going through, I'm waiting for hubby to install it lol.

Niki

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice