Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog limping

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by P125, Mar 20, 2017.

1. P125

P125 PetForums Newbie

My dog has began limping over the past couple of days quite bad, it's worse after rest or walking on hills. She has luxating patella but she has never had any problems. Could this limping be related to the patella even if it has only started 2days ago and is constant?? Any advice appreciated

2. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Hi. You might want to put this into Dog health or dog chat as you will get more replies. This forum is for human health topics.

Re your dog it will likely be difficult for anyone on the forum to give advice having never seen your dog or it's condition. Speaking to your vet would be the best course of action.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Hard to say and she really needs to see a Vet.

My Jack Russell has luxating patellas in both hind legs, but my Vet is not keen to operate, as they don't cause her a problem. She never goes lame.

If she's still lame tomorrow, I would get your Vet's opinion.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. petRsawUs

petRsawUs PetForums Newbie

does she go on long walks every day or every so often? sometimes the sudden strenuous exercise can do that.

5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

The only way to be sure is to get the vet to do an orthopaedic exam, most often by doing that they can get a good idea where the problem is likely to be coming from. Its obviously impossible to say for sure on here, but it could be another joint or there may be a possibility that she has some arthritic changes now in the Knee if she has patella luxation already confirmed. It may even be possible its just a strain or something, in which case rest and veterinary painkillers/anti inflammatories may fix it.
    If its been a couple of days and its as bad as ever or worse then she does need checking out. I certainly wouldnt be continuing to walk her at the same level at the moment if that's what your doing, at least until its checked out, I would rest her up, and if you can stop her jumping on and off things, and doing things like stairs especially.

6. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

And perhaps take a video to the vet? Just to see her gait at its worst in case she walks better when she has her appointment.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice