Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

dog licking other dogs mouth

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by princessmejico, Sep 16, 2013.

1. princessmejico

princessmejico PetForums Newbie

I have two pitt bulls, one is two years old and the orother will be one next month. They ate both girls. The youngest keeps licking the older dogs mouth. I've heard this is just a normal greeting or it could be the youngest showing her willingness to be submissive. The problem is the older dog does not like it. She growls at the youngest every time. How do I get her to stop licking her mouth? I've tried separating them but the older one keeps jumping the fence. The youngest also humps the older one is that normal and is there a way to stop that? It seems to be causing them to get aggressive. Please help.

2. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Pups do this to their mums to get them to regurgitate food, as do wolf and fox cubs. Kali's pups used to do it and she'd regurgitate her dinner for them to eat, I had to keep her away from them for at least an hour after she had a meal otherwise she'd have no food at all.

The younger dog could be doing the same and that's why the older one doesn't like it. I'd stop her every time I saw her do it as its not fair on the older girl. Does this happen after feeding or just randomly? - either way it could be for food but just interested to know. If its post feeding keep them apart for an hour or two and if not tell the youngster 'NO' or whatever command you use and remove her from the older girl, letting them together half hour later and if it happens again do the same and keep doing it every time she licks her mouth. You have to intervene and not leave it to the older girl in case the youngster takes umbridge and retaliates or the older girl does likewise.

ETA - I've never had a one year old humper, my terriers did it as pups, including the bitch but its a pet hate of mine so I immediately took them off while saying 'NO!' In a very loud voice but they were pups and not one year olds. Being Pitts I would imagine the one year old is quite big. I'd have a short lead attached to her collar and take her off in the same way SD I did my pups, if that didn't work I'd use negative reinforcement in the form of a water pistol - one quick squirt head wise but not let her see it was me who was doing it. It sounds a bit drastic but you need to stop these behaviours otherwise you could have a very nasty fight on your hands and you need quick results.

Out of interest, do two bitch Pitts usually live together amicably? Reason I ask is because some breeds have same sex aggression tendencies, as do my breed and bitches in many breeds are far worse than males. I would have gone for a dog and a bitch in your shoes because the youngster may be challenging the older girl as she's at the age where she very well may. Also they can can get moody/aggressive with each other as a season approaches - unless you have had them neutered.

#2 Malmum, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice