Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog license??

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by haeveymolly, Aug 3, 2009.

1. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

What are peoples thoughts on this?

I can remember a time when it was the law to have a dog license but not old enough:001_tt2: and had no involvment with dogs at this time to know anything about them.

What were the reasons or benefits of these and to who the dog owner or the government? . . . . . . or anyone else :confused:

Were they a good thing or a bad thing?

Would anyone like to see them re-enforced?

No arguments though just peoples honest opinions.

2. davehyde

davehyde Banned

yes absolutely bring them back. with much stricter conditions.

unlicenced dogs seized no exceptions.

licence to include a dog awareness course with a minimum pass rate

do not make it too cheap, make it a reasonable commitment to prove people have the right intent.

dogs to wear a tag to show they are licenced.

make people truly responsible for their dogs and make it enforcable, we might just make an impact on the problems we have.

a true dog lover and responsible owner would accept this and it may just deter the irresponsible owners who make it hell for the good ones.

1 person likes this.
  3. haeveymolly

Why were they stopped. Maybe it would be difficult to enforce, but with what you have said i think they should come back it would only be the bad owners that would object, agree it would stop a lot or deter the bad owners out there.

4. rona

rona Guest

They were stopped because they were costing more to issue than they were taking in revenue, also there was not really a purpose to them, they were never checked.
    The only thing that worries me, though I agree wholeheartedly with Davehyde on this one, is the cost would have to be at a level that may exclude the elderly and disabled from dog ownership, and they are the ones that can sometimes truly benefit from a dog.

5. flynnsmum

flynnsmum PetForums Member

I vaugely remember them too, think my dad had a GS at the time. Not sure why they were stopped. (Pity the BBC don't follow suit and scrap the TV licence but that's another story!) I hadn't really thought about whether it would be a good thing or not to bring it back but I agree with Davehyde, it would show people have the right intent to own a dog BUT this would only work if checks were made and unlicenced dogs siezed...hope that makes sense.

6. haeveymolly

I can see what you are saying there they would have to be expensive enough to deter the wrong people from dog ownership, but unfair that some of the best dog owners are not nesessarily the ones with the most money.

7. haeveymolly

Yes it does make sense and what would happen to all the seized dogs? not as cut and dried as people think.

8. rona

rona Guest

The expense wouldn't be to deter people from dog ownership but to cover the required level of enforcement required to do this properly

9. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

I feel that although dog licences may not be the correct way to go something along those lines would be the answer.
    Thier are people who have little money but what they do have goes to the pet ensuring that they get all they need.
    thier are also those who have so much money they do not value what they have.
    Eg one of my friends rescued a dog that was being kept in a walk in cupboard, they had acres of ground swimming pool and large house???
    I feel that all dogs should be micro chipped and the kc good citizen scheme should be harder and compulsary.
    Only once they had completed the sceme would the owner be issued a licence and it would be only the owner that was tested...the other awards would not be mandatory but actively encouraged.
    Further evaluations would be made on those owninig multiple dogs.
    far fetched and expensive and never likely to happen.:(

10. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

I vaguely remember my parents having a licence at one point when I was quite young.

I think the theory of a licence with conditions is brilliant but alot of the bad owners just wouldn't bother with one because as quick as one dog would be taken from them they would get another. And it would mean they would probably try to hide the dog too so the poor dog would be the one who suffered, like always. A good example is pittbulls, they are banned but there are still plenty about and easy to find.

It would be the innocent people and dog who try to do things properly that suffer.

Dogs are supposed to wear tags with contact info on by law but I see more without than with and think this would be the case with licenses

The only way for it to work would be tight controls on breeding, registering, and owning dogs but as it would be very expensive I really don't think the government will do it.

#10 dobermummy, Aug 3, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  11. jenniferx

jenniferx PetForums VIP

In Northern Ireland we still have them, in fact it's technically illegal to own a dog here without licensing. You licence annually and get a tag with your council code and individual license number. The paperwork has some basic details on the dog- colour, age, breed etc.... It costs five pounds a year.

It is useful in that I have found several dogs, called up the relevant council, quoted the number and the dogs have been returned to their owners. But in that way it's as effective as any ID tag.

It doesn't do much to discourage irresponsible owners/breeders though- last time the figures were out Northern Ireland was the worst region in the UK; destroying more dogs than anywhere else.

I think you're right. We were late once in licensing ours one year- a really simple oversight, when we have done it properly for thirteen years- and the council were quick to send out letters threatening legal action should we still have the dogs. Which is kind of crazy. I doubt they are out scanning the parks threatening anyone whose dog isn't wearing a tag with hefty fines.

12. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

Am i right in thinkiing that if you own a dog its meant to have its name and address of owner on its tag now....

13. davehyde

davehyde Banned

yep, according to the law tags should contain name and address.
    i do not put my adress on tho as i dont want people knowing there is a dog there to be nicked.

i put phone #, and post code and dogs name.
    also he is chipped.

apart from that amost everyone here knows who he is, even the kids run up shouting when i am out wanting to pet him and i even had some arguing over who knew him the longest last night lol.

14. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

I have on our dogs tags mine and my oh's mobiles, house number and postcode on one side. on the other it says I'm chipped and neutered. I checked with local dog warden if these were ok and they said yes. :D

15. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

It doesn't matter what the expense is for, it can still make owning a dog beyond the means of people with limited income. To get a dog they would have to buy the license, buy the dog, pay for vet check, insurance, get all the dog stuff like bed, leads, toys, crates, food - it adds up to a lot!

16. princessx87

princessx87 PetForums Senior

I do think that dog licences are a must.
    Most people never look at how much a dog really cost before they just go out and buy one. I think that they should be priced around £30.00 per year, per dog.

I would make life alot easier, look at it this way, it would stop teenagers having these dogs to use in dog fights, as they are not going to be willing to pay, for 2/3 dogs at £30 each.

Breeders, Should have a discount if they register say 2 puppies on their licence.

Rescues: Could charge this to the final amount to rescue pricing.

17. davehyde

davehyde Banned

30.oo seems a fair price. less than 10p a day. personally i would make it more and have a scheme for the elderly or even an exemption.

also given the vast number of dogs in the country it might be even be feasible to use the fees to set up walk in advice centres. enabling people to be given free advice about dog ownership. the pro's and con's, the responsibilities etc. training courses, vets locations.

even a phone in help line with proper and correct advice.

all probably pie in the sky i admit but anything positive is a step in the right direction and a journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step.
    we as a nation of dog lovers truly need proper advice about dogs and the fact that a dog is a serious commitment and poops and pees and gets ill and can cause problems when not treated and reared correctly.

too many people seem to think it is a life of puppy playtime and belly rubs. when the hard facts hit home it's like a slap in the face, then they get rid of the dog.

also i personally think insurance should be compulsory. even it is the most basic, like you do your car.

doggy awareness days, puppy raising all these things could be addressed corectly.

i would even go so far as to have these days in schools all over the country, what a great day for the kids and a bit of learning too.

18. kellybaker

kellybaker PetForums Senior

I think that all puppies should have a breeders chip inserted so that if ever they end up in kennels then they can be taken back to the breeders, if the breeder refuses to take the dog back then a hefty fine given and if this keeps happening then a ban from keeping dogs as i think this will deter bad breeders and may also make breeders more fussy on who buys the pups. The vets can insert this when they go for their vacs.

see simple :D

19. davehyde

davehyde Banned

umworkable for many reasons.

would be great in a ideal situation tho, add the info to the existing chip maybe.

but too many litters in secret and byb's anyway.

just like the woman wanting to breed the chi.:cursing::cursing::mad:

20. Snoringbear

Snoringbear PetForums VIP

Most probably a waste of time. A punishment on the elderly, poor and responsible and no deterrent to those who shouldn't own dogs. You're meant to insure, tax and MOT cars but there many people out there who don't.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice