Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog left overnight?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by rona, Aug 25, 2013.

1. rona

rona Still missing my boys

What do you think of a dog being left over night at home once a week?

It's let out and checked by a neighbour about 9-9.30pm and let out and checked again at about 8am

2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

That's still nearly 12 hours without a visit. If the neighbour came in later, say midnight, and the dog was mature, stable and accustomed to being left at other times, I'd say it was not ideal but a last resort. The dog will be sleeping most of the time.

3. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

The dog would probably be asleep all night so not be lonely and was let out for a last wee and a morning wee.
    But then the risk of fire, burglary is a factor to consider - but no more risk than some one going to work all day and a neighbour/walker popping in.
    I'd probably be more comfortable if it was a 11-1130 visit and a 7-7.30 visit

4. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

My pair sleep from about 8pm (or earlier), need prising off the sofa to go out for a wee when I go to bed, then go to their beds and they don't stir until about 0430 - 0500 so I'd be happy to leave them overnight on a very, very odd occasion.

When I go to the very occasional "do" we can be out from about 1900 - 0200 and it doesn't bother me unduly as I know the dogs will sleep.

5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Personally, I am not comfortable with that arrangement.

The dog is being left for 11 hours without the opportunity to ask to go out to toilet should it need to and without any company.

I suppose leaving a dog alone overnight for a similar number of hours that it could be left during the day is ok. Apart from the fact that it is night time there is little difference, and can't think of any increased risk, etc.

If it was an emergency, then fair enough, but I would make some other arrangement if it was something that was going to be regular and pre-planned.

6. 8tansox

8tansox PetForums VIP

I have two friends who are Samaritans and they regularly leave their Labrador overnight (well, one night a week) while they both do their stint. The dog just sleeps, there is someone who pops in to let him out last thing at night and they're usually home around 7 a.m. so it can work if the dog is used to being left alone for a length of time. They always make sure the dog is very tired before leaving him though.

I'd certainly not do it though, I'd be too scared of a fire, break-in, accident or even a dog not feeling too well. I want to be there. That's why I was so angry with the house-sitters when I found out they slept in their own house leaving my house empty with my dogs in it. :mad:

7. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

I'd want somebody in at say midnight to let the dog out for a pee but I see no problem with a dog being left overnight otherwise. If the dog is used to sleeping at night then chances are it will just sleep as usual.

8. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

Funnily enough I had this dilemma last weekend - I was going out (very rare!) to a hen night and knew I'd be home at some point before morning ... just not sure quite when

Maisie is happily left during the day with the dog walker / me popping in BUT just didn't feel OK with it and my neighbour (who I was going to ask to pop in and let her out for a wee before he went to bed was away) so .... took her to my mums!

It seems an awful thing to leave them overnight by themselves - but, as others have said, it's probably not any longer than some dogs are left alone all day when their owners work - so is it really any different?

9. dogandbone

dogandbone PetForums Member

That's disgraceful, I hope you gave them bad publicity afterwards.

10. DollyGirl08

DollyGirl08 PetForums VIP

I personally wouldn't be comfortable with it.
    I know that most dogs sleep throughout the night, but my worrying nature would make me stressing that they might be sick, or need the loo, or the house would catch on fire, or someone would break in, or the dogs would have a party while I was gone etc....you get the idea lol.

11. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

Whilst I agree with this - if the dog is used to this routine it probably doesn't bother it

I take Maisie to the park usually sometime between 7 and 8 pm most evenings - she'll have a wee

We go home and then I try to get her out for a wee before going to bed - most nights, she lies on the sofa & refuses to budge, while I stand in the middle of the garden like a total idiot trying to coax her out saying "p p" etc

If it's the weekend, I'm not usually up until 7 or sometimes 8 am .... so that's probably a good 12 hours + since she's last been :eek:

12. dogandbone

dogandbone PetForums Member

The only thing is, during the day it's easier to make arrangements to get someone to pop in if necessary - don't think most people will take too kindly to have to do that at 2am!!

Personally, I wouldn't leave my dogs alone for 11 hours even if it is through the night, it's just too long.

13. bearcub

bearcub PetForums VIP

I'm never entirely comfortable with it but have on the odd occasion left Florence and Freya for around 8 hours on an evening. They are usually dozing from 7pm anyway, and by 10pm are always spark out on the sofa and I'll have to force them out for a bedtime wee.

I wouldn't make it a regular thing but in some cases, I suppose leaving a dog overnight is no different to leaving a dog during the day - in fact it's probably preferable.

14. Prowl

Prowl Guest

Its fine over night as long as the neighbour comes in late at around 10pm last call and then is back early morning.

As long as the dog is used to being on its own of course :>

15. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

Just re-read the OP as I'm now a bit confused

Re-reading the 2nd paragraph suggests that the owner is actually away a lot longer than the times actually mentioned

ie it's not left from 9pm to 8am, those are the times it's let out, and it could in actual fact be being left a considerable longer time than this

Rona - do you know when the owner actually goes away & when they come back ie the total time the dog is left?

16. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Not sure but I wouldn't think it much more than 2 hours either side of the neighbour popping in.

This is a well loved dog who is rarely on it's own (owner retired) and there is a very good reason why this happens.

I think I'd feel happier if it went to a sitter, but I don't know why, as a lot of dogs are left for this amount of time 5 days a week

17. lilythepink

lilythepink PetForums VIP

I have crates for my dogs for night time sleeping, they can go in them any time of day and often do but I only lock them at night time unless I am going out.

They will quite often take themselves off for bed around 8pm or even earlier, they don;t get locked in til I go to bed maybe 11pm or even later.

Its not the amount of time they are left or the time of day they are left for such a long time but the fact the house is empty and if there was a problem there isn;t anybody to sort it out.

I don't know why people get dogs and then pay for people to check on them cos they work, pay for dog sitters and dog walkers on a regular basis. and now even doggy day care.

18. tabulahrasa

tabulahrasa PetForums VIP

It depends on what you usually do with your dog overnight as well...Brock sleeps in a crate downstairs, I'm going out tonight for a couple of hours at the time he usually goes to sleep anyway, I can't see what difference it would make to him if I wasn't back until breakfast time as he doesn't normally get out or company at that time anyway.

On the rare occasion that I sleep downstairs (my OH snores) he sleeps in his crate with the door open from about 10 (which is not when I usually go to bed btw, just when he puts himself to bed, lol) until everyone gets up...I can't see why it would be an issue to him if no-one was there.

19. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I pop in for a neighbour's dog occasionally, but they leave their back door open as they have a secure garden, so I just pop in on a night time to shut him in, and let him out first thing and give him a fuss and feed him as well if needs be.

20. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

So you'd rather the dogs were left with no one popping in?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice