Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog lays on pee pad??!!HELP

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Panda1214, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Panda1214

Panda1214 PetForums Newbie

Hello everyone i'm new to this forum and I desperately need your help.I have a 9 year old Shichi. She is no longer than about a foot long.She has always been trained to use the bathroom outside or with a potty/peepad inside overnight on cold nights.We have lived in an apartment for about 6 months now and I got her a peepad that is grass to use on the patio but recently she has started laying on it to relax and I have to give her a bath almost everyday now.When its nice weather I will leave her out on the patio to get some sun and she has never done this until a few days ago our patio is quite a good size for a dog as small as her and she has a seperate crate with a thin blanket if she chooses to lay out there for alittle while so I have absolutely no idea why she would chooses to lay where she uses the bathroom especially considering she doesnt even like to walk near her poop that may already be on it.I need help please I do not have the energy to bath her everyday since she is very very furry.As i said ive had her for 9 years and she has never done this and she has been trained with this grass pad for as long as we have lived in this apartment.

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

It sounds to me as though she enjoys the feeling of lying on grass - most dogs do.

If you have room, I would set up a different area for her to use as a loo, a large litter box, or a box with grass and leave the original area clean for her to lie on.

kimthecat likes this.
  3. Panda1214

I was thinking she probably does like the feel of the grass,she just has never done this and its almost like I cant leave her on the patio anymore to relax because she will always lay on it and I dont have anywhere else to keep it because it does tend to smell.Our patio has a small side room where I keep her crate so its not right next to her grass pad.She has more than enough room to lay in the crate or just the concrete patio is she is hot.I just felt a grass pad was something more natural for her to use the bathroom on since its just a concrete patio but I really dont know what other options I have.Its about the 3rd day now that she has done it:(which means yet another bath to be let back in the house.

#3 Panda1214, Jan 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  4. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

So give her two. One for toileting and one for her own enjoyment.

5. Panda1214

I honestly thought about that option but my fear is knowing my dogs personality she wont go to the bathroom on both and we would have the same issue...since shes learned that is her potty spot

6. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

You may find her sense of smell is going a little given her age and that once the pee has dried she can't smell it and so inadvertently lies in the same area. You say she avoids the area if there is been a poo - but poo smells stronger and is visual.

The only way would be is to offer a different 'grass patch' to lie on and train her to use the original one for peeing only. It will mean watching her more closely for a while.

J

Lurcherlad likes this.
  7. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Or block access to the toilet piece once she’s used it and have a clean piece with a blanket on.

Manage her toileting for a while (like puppy training with treat/praise/cue word) to get her into a routine and hopefully she will associate the grass with toileting and the other (now covered and eventually replaced by blanket) for resting on.

8. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

What if you had two and the relaxing one was different in some ways? In a different position obviously, but maybe also a different size, slightly higher (use a step if necessary), with a blanket from her bed, or have the toileting one on a slight slope so less comfortable for relaxing on?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  9. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

At her age, with joints perhaps beginning to creak a bit, it could be she lies on it for the extra cushioning. If she has the alternative of a deep, comfortable, padded bed she may well choose to lie on that instead. Memory foam dog beds are good for older dogs, and those made from off-cuts don't cost a lot.

Lurcherlad and SusieRainbow like this.
  10. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I’m going to buy one of these from Argos to place under Jack’s bed:

Baby Elegance Travel Cot Mattress
    by Baby Elegance
    745/7371

• [​IMG]£19.99

Blitz likes this.
  11. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I have a dog edition of that with vet bed on top so that if Candy leaks the vetbed stays dry and I can wipe the bed down and it dries very quickly.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  12. Panda1214

I'll try and see what I can do. I appreciate all the advice thanks so much!

Jamesgoeswalkies likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice