Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog king toy

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Jakr, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Jakr

Jakr Instagram @susiethestaffy

Just brought a kong toy home for dog, put a treat in it and she just brought it into her bed and tipped it up and ate it. She's 8 weeks old what would you put in it?

Sorry title is wrong.

#1 Jakr, Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  2. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

Smear of banana, peanut butter , - no xylitol, cream cheese, fruit, veg, his food, tuna, mince, - all full to the top then frozen.

Jakr and Sairy like this.
  3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I wrap the end of Neds with clingfilm, fill with food, fill with warm water, wrap again tightly to prevent water leaking out, allow it to soak for 30 mins, the freeze overnight.

Takes Ned about 30-40 mins to empty the next day.

Puppies can give up quite easily when young though, so dont make it too challenging at first. Maybe some mushed up wet food until she gets the idea and finds it really rewarding.

Jakr likes this.
  4. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

With puppies I start off filling with wet kibble...well fill with kibble then pour water in then leave it to soak..

Then when they get the hang of it...freeze the wet kibble..

Then its basically wet food, kibble what ever you are happy feeding your dog, it goes in the Kong. No limits really, and you will find even the worse sounding concoction works. Dogs are not usually that fussy.

5. Jakr

Jakr Instagram @susiethestaffy

Woops. I put dry food, very little treats all broken up and apple in it didn't put water in it though.. I'll take it out now. Thanks all.

6. lullabydream

I think a lot of people think they are rubbish because they don't understand how to use them, or think they have to buy the special 'spray filler' for them. You don't and its brilliant to get a dog to settle, have a meal and just have some fun all at the same time. Well worth the money, your dog will have years of pleasure.

Jakr likes this.
  7. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

No need to take it out. You don't need water, just something damp like smashed fruit.

8. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

If i put fruit or veg in Neds Kong he'd pack his bags and leave home!

The walking stomach does NOT agree with the 5 a day rule.

Jakr likes this.
  9. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

Mine neither but most do lol

Jakr likes this.
  10. lullabydream

I would recommend fruit for anything other than an 8 week old puppy, just don't like upsetting the apple cart, when there is enough stress in the wee pups life as I take it s/he can't have been home very long.

11. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

I assume you mean wouldn't It's food could contain fruit/ veg .Op said he'd put apple in it, already .Pups are resilient things, and i imagine it'd only be a small puppy Kong.

12. lullabydream

I would be full of presumption and guess the kibble is what the breeder fed...and having two puppies myself who I have had to change food over really gentle because of upset stomachs, I advise on the err of caution, and often introduce new foods slowly too with puppies.
    Kibble is also processed often dogs cannot eat foods containing certain processed food items, but are fine with the items in natural form and vice versus, similar I would say eggs can be iffy with humans depending the way they are cooked.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice