Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog Killed-Advice needed

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by WhiteKatLuva, Jan 3, 2010.

1. WhiteKatLuva

WhiteKatLuva PetForums Member

My dog killed the rabbit we found today. He shook it to death. When Nana Sophie looked out the window she saw the dog standing over the Rabbit, with it lying there lifelessly. Nana Sophie tried defending the dog, but he could go for my cat next cos' hes killed something and he always chases my cat and bites it. We live on a farm too, so he could kill chickens, or other farmers stock.
    Advice needed, what to do with Rosco?

2. WhiteKatLuva

plz help this is urjent

3. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Never leave him unsupervised around the cat and the chickens, he needs to be taught how to behave around them properly.
    My dog has killed a rabbit but she doesn't touch the cats

4. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

i can`t really be of much help but i know that if the cat`s not had injuries then they`re just play fighting. my dog does this all the time although it`s normally the cat who starts it. maybe your dog and cat have become friends so you don`t have to worry about the cat being killed.

i`m sorry i can`t be of much help but i hope you get some soon

5. WhiteKatLuva

Okay! Thanks!!

6. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

u will have to put the dog on a long line or a lead to not allow him to chase the cat...

chasing is an instict and the excitment can lead to the dog crossing the line and maybe injure the cat... so u will have to be carefull....

7. dodigna

dodigna PetForums VIP

What breed is the dog?
    You say you found the rabbit on the day it got killed? So it was not a house pet, right? How long have you had the dog? Has he ever chased the cat or shown unhealthy interest in the chicken?

8. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

I know with greyhounds they usually advise that while a dog can live happily with the family cat it may still see other cats as fair game and go for them as there not part of their pack. So i wouldn't necessarily jump to the conclusion that because Roscos has killed the rabbit all other animals are at risk, but it would be wise to take precautions for the other animals safety.

I think you need to correct Rosco so he doesn't chase the cats and make sure that they are separated when your not there to supervise. I don't have cats so can't advise on the best way but i'm sure others can help. This is the common advice on cat introductionthat greyhound owners get.

9. lauren001

lauren001 PetForums VIP

It may depend on the breed of dog as to how safe he is around your cats.

If he is of a dog breed with a high prey drive like any of the sighthounds or husky types, then your cats are not safe.

10. Elmo the Bear

Elmo the Bear PetForums VIP

Ours have never killed a rabbit but will pick up the dead ones. They chase the cats but never actualy attack them so there may be something that triggered it.

Animals are animals so rational thought is unlikley to work (you're not going to talk him out of it) but training may be the way. I certinaly don't think its the end of the world (I know gun dog owners who have spent a long time sucessfully training a dog that would initially tear up retrieved quarry and who now bring it back as if it were a fragile egg).

My only practical suggestion is to take your dog round on a lead near all the animals you are concerned he may go for and see what the reaction is.

11. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

My dogs kill rabbits, all dogs do if they get a chance. I have to say mine are not great with cats either which is a nuisance and I cant see them being good with hens. I live on a farm too. I cant count how many rabbits they have killed this year.

12. WhiteKatLuva

he has shown intrest in the chickens, he once grabbed a chicken by the leg and tried to pull it through the fence. Luckily Mum saw it and smacked the dog.

13. WhiteKatLuva

And hes a Staffy cross Whippet cross Doberman i think

14. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

It depends on the dog as an individual, you can't automatically say a dog of a certain breed won't be safe as many sighthounds do live with cats, birds or other small animals.

15. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

Just to say - my dogs are both rabbit friendly!!!

16. lauren001

lauren001 PetForums VIP

He has killed a rabbit, so he is not safe with cats unsupervised at the moment. He, I think is a young dog so he may be fine eventually, but I would be very, very wary of him with my cats anyway in the meantime.

17. leashedForLife

hey, kat! :--)

i get the impression that the dog lives outside? WITH the cats, chickens, etc?
    that is not safe; if U want the dog to live their whole lifespan, U need to control the dogs access to those smaller animals!

i would suggest have the dog live in the house... then *teach* the dog how to behave appropriately around other animals.

such teaching does not have to be harsh, U do not have to hit, punish, jerk collars, etc.
    the book Click to Calm is a very good, very safe DIY reference - it explains very carefully
    how to teach the dog that this (upsetting, scary, exciting, frustrating, ____ WHATEVER the emotion)
    thing, is actually a Good thing - safe, not scary, not so exciting that they lose their minds and all self control,
    they can RELAX and be around that stimulus, and not be upset or stressed-out or manic.

all my best,
    --- terry

18. Clare7435

Clare7435 PetForums VIP

Dogs re related to wolves and they still occasionally feel the prey drive, not all dogs do this but it isn't unheard of at all, it's only as we've humanised them as such and taught them to live alongside humans and other pets tht that they don't do it often. My dog loves my bunnys now, but a few years ago some idiot from my street broke in my garden and let them all out of the pen and my dog shook oneto death, which many farmers refer to as necking, apparently the instinct isn't burried too deep and if temptation is there many dogs will take it.
    I think the advice given here is spot on, it takes time but as I can see in my dog, it does work, Fizz now happily lives along side my cat, buns and g-pigs....and on tuesday another pooch...good luck xx

19. WhiteKatLuva

hey thanks everyone for the replies. Its really helping!!

No, the dog doesnt live inside but we let him out occasionally unsupervised. Or sometimes he finds a door open to sneak out.

We hope he doesnt kill again, and i will show my nana these comments so she knows what to do next.

A Staffy cross Whippet cross Doberman is a dangerous cross breed (i think) and we're hoping he grows out of it.

20. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Claudia my friend has working lurchers. She has permission to work them after rabbits on several farms local to her. She also has her own land but they all live with cats. My own racing greyhound Button once killed a per rabbit when she first retired from racing BUT we have a semi feral cat that occasionally comes into our house but she doesn't bother with him.

I would not leave the cat unsupervised with him. Work with him on a long line around the cat and the chickens. If he shows any interest in them tell him a firm NO and pull him away and distract him. Then let him have the loose line again keep repeating it until he gets the message he is not allowed to do it.

The whippet in him will give him the instinct to chase anything that runs but keep working with him I know many whippets that live with cats and chickens with out a problem.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice