Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog Kennels or Home Boarding?

Discussion in 'Dog Boarding' started by TJRR, Jan 1, 2020.

1. TJRR

TJRR PetForums Newbie

Hi,

Has anyone set up a dog kennel business?

If so, I have a few questions i'd like to ask!

#1 TJRR, Jan 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Probably neither.

If push came to shove, I’d prefer a sitter so my dog was in his own home and with familiar surroundings.

3. David Hendra

David Hendra PetForums Newbie

Home boarding every time! (But we're biased, we run a home boarding business...)
    Best of luck with your new venture!

TJRR likes this.
  4. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Personally I'd choose a kennel. I don't trust home boarders with all the other dogs, garden fences etc, I'd much rather my dogs in a secure kennel with secure exercise areas. But then I work in a kennel ;)
    Home boarding and kennel all have very strict rules so you'd need to chat to your local council about what you need to comply with their licence.

Linda Weasel and TJRR like this.
  5. TJRR

TJRR PetForums Newbie

Is the kennels you work in busy all year round or just holiday seasons and weekends? Where abouts in the UK is it?

We have printed off all the information from our council so are familiar with most details.

6. Sarah H

Busy all year round. Always have a waiting list for Xmas. It gets quieter for a couple of months now, but generally it's busy.
    I'd say home boarding is probably tougher in terms of regulations than purpose built kennels, because if you don't fit the requirements there's not much you can do to your house, whereas with kennels you have more scope to build.

7. TJRR

TJRR PetForums Newbie

That is true. Home boarsing isn't an option for us.

We have read through all the rules from our local council and we should have no problem meeting them. The only thing holding us back is not knowing whether Kennels are used as much nowadays. It seems people tend to choose home boarding!

8. Sarah H

Kennels are always busy. Make a good name for yourself and you'll always have dogs in. Word of mouth is pretty much the way we get new customers and honestly the phone and email never really stops. Dogs are allowed pretty much everything they have at home, bedding (as long as it's washable), toys, treats, food, meds etc. We supply everything though so they don't need to bring anything if they don't want to. We have different sized kennels and blocks to suit different dogs, and offer discount on dogs sharing kennels (only from the same family). We mix dogs ONLY if given the OK by the owners and only after a few days of settling in, and they get runs/play in the secure paddocks as well as lead walks round the private fields. They get out plenty of times throughout the day so are seldom dirty (which would only stress them out), radios are on during the day and there is someone on site pretty much 24/7. Radiators are on in the cold (although they do pay more for this during the winter months). Dogs and cats must adhere to WSAVA vaccination guidelines or have titre test with proof of immunity.

9. TJRR

TJRR PetForums Newbie

I have edited my post as the admins are not letting me put a new post up even though it's different!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice