Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog kennel help!!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by mstuarty, Jan 4, 2012.

1. mstuarty

mstuarty PetForums Newbie

Hi there,

Need some help my cocker spaniel wont bother going into his kennel and just sits out in the rain, usually when we are not home, he constantly stands at the gate waiting for us to return.

Is there any ideas that could get him to go into his kennel when the rain comes? Afraid he is gonna catch something standing in the cold

Thanks

Michael

2. Manoy Moneelil

Manoy Moneelil PetForums VIP

What is the kennel made of ? and is it new ?

Assuming it is something made from wood in a "classic" kennel shape there is a good chance that the wood has been chemically treated for woodworm etc and for the dog who's nose is 1,000 time more sensitive than yours this just stinks to the point that it is unbearable. Sitting in the rain is the lesser of two evils.

Washing inside and out (then rinse) may help, painting will not.

A tent made from non smelly fabric attached on the side of the kennel might be a cure.

When you build it - have the dog there to see it's construction and allow/encourage him to sniff the bits as you use them.

3. mstuarty

Thanks for the reply, yes it's made out of wood, more than likely has been treated for woodworm so u prob have a point there.

Space restricts the erecton of a tent, the other problem is it seems to be constantly damp in there, what's the best way to dry it out especially in this weather

4. claire & the gang

claire & the gang PetForums Senior

Have you any space to put a small roofed run on the kennel. My cockers rarely go inside the kennel house either ,they stand in the run waiting for me to come get them lol.

Mine arent kept out in the kennels often tho...mainly just used if I need them out of the way if we have company or am busy doing something like washing the floors. As five stampeding dogs wanting to lick everyone to death can be quite intimidating lol.

Maybe its just a cocker thing:eek:

5. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Why not try an indoor kennel:)

6. mstuarty

Cheers for the feedback, I will give the run a blast! He does come in after 6 at night but worry about him when me and the wife are working. Does the cocker coat keep them warm enough?

7. Obzocky

Obzocky PetForums Member

Just going to echo this. Especially in this weather.

If you're both working and he's being kept outside I would personally have an indoor kennel/crate for him. Or perhaps keeping him in a room where he can't do too much damage if he's prone to separation anxiety.

In this weather your kennel is not going to dry out, at least not outside. Is it placed directly on the ground or is it raised? I think if we knew a little more on the design of the kennel itself we could give far better advice.

How old is Barney? Whilst a cocker coat can help keep him warm it wont keep him warm enough in the weather we're currently having. Not by himself and not if there's a lack of heating/insulation (is it insulated?). What sort of bedding are you using for him?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice