Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog keeps laying down in the same spot on the way to the park

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Hat, May 24, 2014.

1. Hat

Hat PetForums Junior

Hi all

One of my dogs is exhibiting puzzling behaviour. I leash my dogs to walk them to the park and one of them (while on leash) keeps laying down in about the same spot on the way. It is only about two montes after we leave the house. Her movement otherwise seems normal. The weird thing is if I turn around as if I'm walking back home she gets up but when I turn again to walk toward the park she lays down again. Generally speaking after I get her up and past that point she walks on ok. Is she bored of the same location and saying I'd rather stay at home? She never does it when I take her around the neighbourhood streets at night?

She is about two/three and a rescue. She first started doing this about a month ago. A lot of her behaviour is more cat like than dog like but this is weird. She doesn't seem in pain although I was considering a vet visit for another reason - that she is licking her "parts" more than I'd consider her normal amount

2. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

I think you should get the Vet check first, to rule out any physical issues...the licking could be any little infection, or pyometra if there's much of a discharge and she's not spayed.

Other than that perhaps try a different route to the park and see if she still lies down? Whether she does or not will be a clue to why she does it.

3. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Is she spayed? If she isn't and she has had a season in the last few weeks maybe even a month or two, then its often a very common time to get infections. Even if she is spayed they can still get vaginal infections. If she is licking more then normal I would think an infection and/or some form of irritation is likely so would probably be wise to get it checked out.

Re the laying down thing, have you ever previously noticed her getting spooked or something out the ordinary has happened in the past round about that point? Even if you haven't or it wasn't something you particularly noticed something could have spooked her that you would think of as normal but was out of the usual and not usually there. A similar thing happened with one of mine when he was younger. The old sort it recycling lorries we used to have used to have metal sides and compartments, and the operatives used to hurl the recycling in so they hit the metal sides of the lorry, and make really loud noises, one day they did it just as we were walking past, only happened the once but for ages after he would do a similar thing at a certain point in the road, where we would have encountered the lorry.

Only other thoughts has she encountered something like cat in a garden for example. Another one of mine stopped and investigated a bush that was above a low garden wall, I heard a hiss and there was a cat in the bush, and for weeks and weeks after when we were coming to that house, she would always anchor on and stop and try to look for the cat.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice