Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog keeps escaping, threatened by hunters

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Lieve, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Lieve

Lieve PetForums Newbie

Hello everyone,

As I'm writing this, I must say I am feeling quite stressed. Our dog, Chase (a 4 year old Weimaraner x German Pointer), was captured by hunters this morning, having escaped from our yard for the umpteenth time. We have tried just about everything we could think of: an electrical fence, tiring him out, keeping him inside, keeping him on a leash... In the end, he always ends up escaping one way or the other. However much I'd like to include the option of putting a fence up around our yard, it's simply too big and my parents are not able to fund the thousands of euros it will cost us.

There's a lot of deer and hares around our house, which Chase ends up killing every time he escapes, thus angering the hunters. As they have video proof, they are threatening to either call the police next time they see him on their land, or just shoot him.

My parents are at their wits' end, and have left it up to me to find a solution. If none is found, they'll most likely bring him to a shelter.

If anyone has any suggestions, tips, or maybe even solutions, I would be so, so grateful. I love my dog with all my heart, I don't want to lose my best friend.

Thank you for taking the time to read this,
    Lieve

2. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

I would have thought it fairly simple to keep him in your house? If you all want to keep the dog, surely it can't be that dufficult to check where he is in the house every single time you are about to open an external door?

My dogs wouldn't come to any great harm if they escaped from my house as i live in a quiet cul de sac but we all still make sure our dogs are safely contained before opening the door to outside. It's easy to do.

So that. And maybe a bit of gundog type training to keep his brain mentally engaged so that he doesn't go stir crazy.
    If you can get your dog involved in some training that is satisfying and gets him thinking, you will be able to settle him in your house and then with careful door management, all will be well.

A dog like this that has killed many times will never be trustworthy off lead as it has had the thrill of the hunt and will now be very driven. Nothing you can offer will ever come close to that high.

So training must be done on securely staked long line or in a secure field.

3. Lieve

Lieve PetForums Newbie

Keeping him in the house gets a lot harder with five little kids running around, with friends over now and then. We have tried to tell them time and time again to make sure the dog stays in the house, but kids will be kids. Even though he doesn't escape as often as he used to, the door being held open for a few seconds too long can mean big trouble.

I will definitely look into the gundog type training, and a long leash sounds like a good way to give him some exercise without the risk of him running away. Thank you for your suggestions!

tabelmabel likes this.
  4. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

You might not need to fence the entire perimeter of the property - what about a tall fence enclosing the area surrounding the door?

5. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Keep external doors locked with a key on a high hook. That prevents young children from opening doors and, for those tall enough to reach the hook, at least it makes them think. You could even do something as simple as put a big notice in your door to say "DOG!!!" to remind yourselves.

It just a habit. I have 5 kids too - small children are actually very good at rules if consistency is applied.

If there are young kids in the house, make up some stickers with " I am a super door checker" or something.

Or keep a chart and pen by thr door so they can tick to show they checked first.

Plenty ideas to encourage a team effort on this one. Good luck!

Lurcherlad, Sarah H, JoanneF and 2 others like this.
  6. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Deleted as i had posted the same message twice. Doh!

7. danielled

danielled Guest

Eletric fences, I hate those torture devices. Try a real fence.

8. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Hooks high up doors will prevent kids opening them.

Fence a small area securely, close to the house.

If he were to slip through a door he would be safe at least.

Other times, take him out for walks and training to occupy his mind do he settles at home.

Calvine and JoanneF like this.
  9. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I think the poor dog has a rather short life expectancy. You cannot just let him out to kill deer. I would imagine someone will soon dispose of him sadly as it is not his fault. As others have said do NOT let him out. It is hardly rocket science. Fence off a small area outside the door as others have said. if you do not want to spend the time with him then rehome him into a town as he will never be safe in a country home. I rather doubt if a rescue would be very keen on taking him as he will be quite hard to rehome.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice