Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog just jumped out window and attacked

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Redice, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Redice

Redice PetForums Senior

I have just been out for a pavement walk with my 3 dogs and as I passed a window a staffie x dog jumped out the window and attacked my dogs, I was pulled to the floor and was frantically trying to stop it getting to them and they were jumping about trying to escape. My puppy broke free and ran off screaming down the road and I was still on the floor trying to defend my dogs. The owners came out and got their dog away and the woman had a go at me for walking past her house when I know she has 2 dogs that bark! She was very rude. I then saw my puppy with a car driver so went to retrieve him and then returned to where the incident took place to get my scandal which had come off and broken in the scuffle and the owner came out again and had a go at me for hanging around. I only have a few scratches and my finger is painful where the lead was wrenched. I can't see any obvious injuries on the dogs although my puppy has not stopped barking since we have been home and hour ago.
    The dog that attacked is walked in a muzzle.
    I am going to report it to the dog warden but fear that there will be no real action taken, anyone with similar experience?

#1 Redice, Jul 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
    Jackien4 and Lurcherlad like this.
  2. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

I think you also need to report this to the police, the DDA would cover this incident I would have thought. The women has no right to tell you where you can and can't walk due to her dogs, on the other hand I would avoid her house like the plague.

3. Redice

Redice PetForums Senior

Thanks. I did consider reporting to the police but there was an incident here a year or so ago when I witnessed a dog escape and attack a dog that was being walked by a young boy who was also bitten defending his dog. I was a witness and gave a statement but the outcome was just to give the owner a talking to about keeping his dog safer.
    I will see what the dog warden has to say. I am so angry that the women had the cheek to say that it was all my fault for walking in front her house! and didn't ask how I was or the dogs.

Will certainly be avoiding walking down her road again so she will get her wish.

4. kirksandallchins

kirksandallchins PetForums VIP

Reporting it to the police and the dog warden is the way to go. It was not just a dog attack - you were threatened/bullied by the owner

5. Aahlly

Aahlly PetForums VIP

What ridiculous behaviour from the crazy woman! It's hardly your problem if her dogs bark, not like you were on her property. You should be safe walking on the street, not concerned about getting attacked :eek: Perhaps she's hoping you will not report if she made it out to be your fault? You must report her to the police and the DW for this. If her dog is walked in a muzzle I wonder if that's been ordered for her to do so. In which case she should be extra vigilant to ensure her dogs are controlled, including ensuring they can't leap out a window at passersby!

Poor you. Glad that there's no injury, though you must be very shaken.

Jackien4, Burrowzig and Redice like this.
  6. Redice

Redice PetForums Senior

Ah yes, I didn't think of that as being the reason she was so aggressive to me, I couldn't understand why she should have a go at me instead of asking if I and the dogs were alright. Good think re the muzzle too, she may already have had a complaint. I don't want a fuss but I am going to report it to the dog warden in the morning.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  7. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Defo report to DW and police. Dog Law has been tightened recently and something really should be done about the owner and dog in this case.

I have had a similar incident recently and the police have been great so far. Not so much the DW yet, but I have notified my local councillor who is very proactive.

8. Redice

Redice PetForums Senior

The police have been the opposite here last year when a boy was walking his dog on lead and a dog escaped and the boy and dog was bitten, the police did nothing except warn the owners to make their security better :-( I think the owners attitude has upset me as much as the incident.

9. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

If the police issue the owner with a Community Order, I think it's called, it is kept on file (but not like a criminal record or official caution, so does not have to be declared on job applications, etc.).

If that owner en has another complaint made against them of a similar nature, then the police can escalate it up.

I would still notify all the relevant authorities so it goes on record.

Goblin, Hannah1982 and Redice like this.
  10. Knightofalbion

Knightofalbion PetForums VIP

An irresponsible owner; an aggressive, ill-disciplined dog; an insecure garden ... it's a mauling waiting to happen!

For her own sake and the dog's, she needs drawing up.

11. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Everybody has the right to walk where they like in public unmolested by people, dogs or anything else!

I expected the female owner reacted as she did through fear, that is common.

It is human nature to want to blame other people or things for one's own shortcomings.

Please report this to the police.

If you fail to report events to the proper authorities nothing will ever change.

Failure to report because you believe nothing will be done will just become a self fulfilling prophecy.

There are a range of options available to the police as there are in any offence and so you may not be aware of any action that has been taken as of course it will escalate according to the tariff set.

As for not walking there again, why allow yourself to be bullied in this way.

Remember in order for a prosecution to take place a case must pass both the evidentiary and public interest tests and so if nobody has reported this before maybe nothing will happen, it is only be continuing to report any progress can be made.

Lurcherlad, Goblin, adamantis and 2 others like this.
  12. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Just seen this, how are this morning must have shaken you up. I hope you do report before it happens again to someone else walking past.

Redice likes this.
  13. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

Please do report it to the police. You don't know if there are already other complaints on record. You may well have bruises and scrapes which weren't obvious last night and you do have damaged property. This all needs to be recorded and you'd be perfectly justified in making a claim against the owner.

Lurcherlad, Redice and Burrowzig like this.
  14. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

What an awful thing to happen. You should have gone straight to the police. The owner has committed an offence, why would she not be prosecuted. If the police dismiss it then take it further and insist that something is done. What would have happened if it had been a frail person or a child walking by with a dog. If you do not report it then here of a serious injury you will feel very guilty.

Lurcherlad and Redice like this.
  15. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Exactly. Don't let her get away with it.

Redice likes this.
  16. CuddleMonster

CuddleMonster PetForums VIP

I agree this definitely needs reporting. As others have said, it could have been so much more serious, and there's no guarantee it won't be next time.

Glad you and the dogs weren't seriously hurt. I hope you recover from such a nasty experience very quickly.

17. Redice

Redice PetForums Senior

Thank you for asking. You are right, I feel very shaken up. The 2 adult dogs are ok but the puppy has been very unsettled and out on his walk this morning was barking madly at any dog he saw so it is going to take a bit of time for him to get over this.
    I am just writing out my complaint to the DW now.
    Thanks for your concern

18. LoopyL

LoopyL PetForums VIP

I would report incident to the police as it could have had fatal consequences for your pup if he'd been hit by a car or you hadn't managed to keep dog at bay as well as you did. Hope you had a quiet night recovering & pup has calmed down too? Sorry you had such an awful experience :(
    Some people are ar****les:mad: & will continue to be unless stopped

Burrowzig and Redice like this.
  19. Canarie

Canarie PetForums Member

Last year my cat was killed on his own driveway.An irresponsible owner was walking past with her bull dog type dog,owner attached to her phone.Dog saw my cat,you can imagine the rest.First I knew of it(was at home when it happened) was my neighbour knocking on my door to tell me she would help me look for my cat who had managed to get away.Neighbour had told the dog owner to knock on my door and let me know.The owner started walking down my drive and when neighbour had returned home the owner did a disappearing act.I called the police the next day and even though I had not witnessed the event the description of the dog and messaging on Facebook meant I knew location etc.The police went round to,the house,just a few doors from mine,and the girl,in late twenties admitted it was her walking the dog.I have no issues with the dog,just the irresponsible owner.The dog still goes out,muzzled now.This is the second time the police have been called to the house as the last time the dog attacked another dog and the owner had to pay for stitches etc.
    To this day the girl has never apologised for her behaviour.I had insurance,but,still,had to,pay approx £350.
    The police said I had to report the incident as had a "duty of care" and could have been a child.
    Canarie

Redice likes this.
  20. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I'm not surprised you are shaken and poor pup must have had a big shock :(

Glad the other two seem less phased by it.

It might help the pup to have a couple of very quiet days at home to allow the stress hormone dissipate completely. Otherwise, every time he gets worked up he is topping it up. It's so hot, the dogs may not mind ;). Or keep to deserted places where you know you won't meet other dogs if you can.

Hope the DW takes it seriously.

LoopyL and Redice like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice