Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog just ate a cooked chicken bone

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Owner of a mad terrier, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Owner of a mad terrier

Owner of a mad terrier PetForums Junior

My dog just got hold of a cooked chicken drumstick and I was too late when I found her. She has eaten the whole bone and there are splinters all over the floor. I know they are the worst bone for a dog to eat. Will she be okay? Should I call the emergency vet? She isn't showing any signs of illness yet.

2. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Yes, I would call the emergency vets personally - especially since you say it has splinted all over the floor.

3. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

I would contact emergency vets for advice.

Here in Germany it's advised that a large amount of Sauerkraut is to be eaten to pad any sharp edges through the digestive track. We found that out when one of our dogs decided to eat an old style electric bulb. We had no problems other than the amount of poop ;) Not sure what the replacement for sauerkraut would be in the UK.

Point of interest.. also checked with a human digestion expert when it happened.. they recommend the same if a child swallows glass etc.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice