Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog jumping up at window and door

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by saraho, May 4, 2010.

1. saraho

saraho PetForums Newbie

Hi,
    My 7 year dog jumps up at the windows when he hears somebody outside whether we are in or out. He barks if somebody lingers outside or comes to the door. He also jumps up and barks when me or my husband leave the house. We have tried distracting him with food and toys, used water sprays, rocks in a bottle and even the spray collars but these only work temporally and we are not always around to reinforce. The dogs claws have scratched the paint of the window sills and now I am pregnant, I want to reduce the amount of barking

Any advice or ideas?

Thanks

2. Daggre

Daggre PetForums Member

You need to teach the 'off' command first.

Teach Your Dog Off, Dog Training and Obedience Lessons
    Free Dog Training-How Teach The "Off" Command

When your dog knows this and is jumping up at the windows, you can say 'off' firmly and reward when he gets down. He will probably stop barking once he is off too, because you have distracted/blocked his behaviour.

He should not be allowedto jump, especially when you are pregnant! as he could hurt you.

When he jumps, push him gentley, or take a small step forward and say 'off'. When you leave. Make sure your dog is in his bed, with a chew/kong, and leave without making a fuss. We put our dog in her cage, and go. We don't make a fuss or dramatise the situation because then the dog may think there's something to worry about, as it is she just goes to sleep.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice