Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog interaction

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by alyssa_liss, May 2, 2011.

1. alyssa_liss

alyssa_liss PetForums VIP

Hope someone can help

Weve had out BC 2 weeks now, he is fantastic in everyway....however we were told by the previous owner that other dogs dont seem to like him and he has been attacked twice (last was about 3 months ago)resulting in a vet trip.

He is very good off lead where there are no dogs close by. i always put him on lead when approacing other dogs/people as we dont know how other people/dogs will be. He never barks at dogs/people just wants to sniff the occasional dog.

He seems fine with other dogs when meeting when both onlead and when hes onlead and the other dogs off lead.

He doesnt run after a dog he can see in the distance if he is off lead.

Well anyway to the point..... i have just been to the local field playing ball with him. Little yorkie came in field on lead so called Max over and put his lead on , they had a sniff then yorkie carried on his walk and i took max offlead playing fetch again. 2 children (7ish) came over and asked if they could chuck the ball for him. Let them as i know he is fine with kids.

Mean while 2 lads come on the field with a dog off lead,(i think it was a spaniel type) cant really remember. Max is quiet happiley playing with his ball.The other dog wanders over mid fetch so Max goes upto it sniffed nose to nose.....then next thig i know there fighting but not proper fighting , i had to grab max and push the other dog off him as the owner was still the other side of the field.i get max to sit and put his lead on him, whilst the other lad gets his dog. I was in shock , asks the guy if hes alright and he kept saying sorry, it was his fault. ..This makes me think the other dog might have a habit of it.....anyway

Well now im doubting Max and wondering if its him that makes other dogs not like him , maybe hes not use to off lead interaction. Ive send his old owners a message asking them if use to let him play with other dogs.

Now im paranoid about letting him offlead near other dogs and i know he needs to learn how to play.

any sugestions?

2. lucy963

lucy963 PetForums Senior

If i have got the right end of the stick here it sounds like the other dog started it. I would keep introducing him to other dogs on the lead at the moment. Do you know anyone with friendly submissive dogs that could try and help you out with introducing them to him on lead first until your sure they will be ok with each other off lead.

3. alyssa_liss

i think it was the other dog i was just worried. I have just spoke to a friend who has a very relaxed dog and were going to meet up on friday onlead at first and go for a walk .

hopefully it will be ok :D

4. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Max sounds a lovely boy. Some dogs have a thing for certain breeds mine is cautious of spaniels as a rule etc. If Max is nervous maybe the other dog interpreted his actions in a certain way etc.

I really wouldn't worry just keep up the good work and make sure he isn't taken by surprise if another dog approaches him so he is aware and the like. My golden gets lots of labrador and staffie dogs having a go here :(

5. alyssa_liss

just a quick update, we went on our dog date today and he was absolutly fine with my friends dog so it was obviously the other dog.

Was so nice to see them playing together

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice