Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog intelligence ranking

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by rona, May 28, 2010.

1. rona

rona Guest

So what do you think of your breeds ranking?
    Goldies are ranked 4, if it was bitches I think the ranking is right, if it was dogs, I think they wouldn't have made the top 10 :lol:

INTELLIGENCE OF DOGS - The ranking by breed

2. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

57 and 70 :confused1: Mine are pretty obedient and well trainanble who did this survey?? Cheek :lol:

3. raindog

raindog PetForums Senior

What a crock!!
    What on earth does obeying commands unquestioningly have to do with intelligence. On this "survey" Siberian Huskies come out 45th, and yet they, like many sled dogs, display real intelligence. On hearing a command, they will assess the situation, decide whether or not the command is sensible and (more importantly) likely to be of benefit to them, and then, on the basis of this assessment, act. This is real intelligence, not blind obedience.

Mick :D:D

4. crazybones

crazybones PetForums VIP

i wouldnt think my breed is on there but i dont agree with this as a guide on intelligence as i believe it more train ability as i know most the spitz breed are very clever and choose to do as they please or they will weigh up what in their best interest where as a collie will do anything it is asked

also there is now way on earth the basenji should be last but one come on they used to hunt i the jungle with their master they must be really thick lol

#4 crazybones, May 28, 2010
    Last edited: May 28, 2010
  5. rona

rona Guest

I think it's just a bit of silliness but it's got you all going. :devil:

6. Deb

Deb PetForums Senior

my breed is no 1. apparently she obeys commands 95% of the time. obviously that other 5% is when i'm standing on the field in the freezing weather waiting for her to decide the time is right to come back when i call!!

7. crazybones

crazybones PetForums VIP

lmfao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

8. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Hmm, ok as a list of dogs with unquestioning obedience but like has been said alot of dogs are either stubborn or think they know better!:D
    An awful lot of hounds dont like wasting their time with stupid commands!!

9. davehyde

davehyde Banned

that would make them able to reason, apply logic, use risk assessment. how on earth can a dog decide if a command is sensible?????

tosh methinks with a very large t

10. flufffluff39

No actually they're right about mine :lol:

11. crazybones

crazybones PetForums VIP

simple if the dog sense the way is safe then the command is sensible but if the way isnt then the command isnt sensible

12. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

I have seen similar rankings in Professor Stanley Coren's studies on the intelligence of dogs - but I am suprised at some of the rankings!

I guess it depends on what criteria they based the studies (was it only the two things listed against each ranking band) and also the number of dogs in each breed that were studied. Plus I guess it also depends on your definition of intelligence.

In Coren's study he has a ranking of "Obedience and Working Intelligence" which in his book he explains what these mean (as opposed to Instinctive intelligence) and this ranking looks very similar.

But then he also goes on to describe different aspects of learning and intelligence like observational learning, problem solving, attention and environmental learning, social learning, short and long term memory, language comprehension and the learning process. Different breeds came out on top in each area.

His books are quite an interesting read for anyone who wanted to know more. The one I have is: The Intelligence of Dogs: Amazon.co.uk: Stanley Coren: Books

13. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I think they based that on how quickly they learned and did commands. So the breeds bred to listen to humans are at the top labs gsds etc and breeds like the sighthounds and huskies who are bred to be independant are considered stupid.

Cairns are ranked 36th above average whereas Buster is very smart just has selective hearing

14. flufffluff39

If theres food involved my dogs will beat any dog for problem solving :lol:

15. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Gsds are No 3:confused:, guess it wasnt Henrick they tested then:lol:.

16. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

haha poodles come in at 2nd place.
    Understanding of New Commands: Less than 5 repetitions.yeah right:rolleyes:
    Obey First Command: 95% of the time or better. lmao i know this isn't true.:lol:

17. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

Surprised that Rottie's are nunber 9.

They should meet Zeus, I am sure he forgot to queue for brains when they made hm lol.

18. rona

rona Guest

He's a dog :rolleyes:
    Bitches are always quicker on the uptake :lol:

19. crazybones

crazybones PetForums VIP

well this maybe be true in canine's but it defo isnt true in the human species lol:arf:

20. rona

rona Guest

Who pulled your chain? :001_tt2: ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice