Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog insurance

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Maxine perkins, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Maxine perkins

Maxine perkins PetForums Newbie

hi we are thinking of getting a 12 week puppy that has issues with her back legs. On her fourth vet check the owner (my daughter) was told she may have frogs legs(??) and may or may not need an operation if the muscles do not correct themselves, there is no nerve or bone damage and she is pain free, runs, walks and jumps fine. It is just when she is in a relaxed stance that her hips seem to jut out. The vet said the op would be £4000 x2 for both back legs. I wondered is it possible to get insurance for a dog that you knowingly may (or not) need an operation. I would like to take the dog on but my husband has reservations due to the possibility of a costly operation. Has anyone come across this condition before or know that you can get insurance. I want to do everything above board but not sure as we don't know the outcome what to do? Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

2. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

You would be able to get insurance, but the condition affecting the pups back legs (and possibly anything to do with the legs at all) would be excluded from it as it is pre-existing, so any operation or treatment would have to be paid for out of your own pocket.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Maxine perkins

Maxine perkins PetForums Newbie

4. shadowmare

shadowmare The dog doesn't bite, me on the other hand...

Have you got this puppy already then? Or are you still thinking about getting it? Not really clear from your post...

5. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

Personally I would not take on a dog that you know will require 4k worth of surgery unless you have the funds to cover it and any ongoing treatment. The puppy will not be covered by insurance even if you take it now as it will be on his vet records and will be classed as a preexisting condition.

I'm confused, is this a puppy that your daughter bred, or one she purchased and now wants rid of?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  6. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

As the others said, definitely not covered by insurance. Also a whole lot of other things could be excluded also - likely anything to do with legs. As an example, my dog has a mild heart murmur and food allergies. As a result anything to do with her heart and anything to do with her skin is excluded.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice