UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There

We have just got a new wee puppy - Maltese x Shih tzu and now looking to take out some pet insurance for him. We are currently looking at the Petplan one, but wondering if there are any other recommendation anyone has that may be better?

Thanks

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi my dogs are with More Than, they have been great , just paid out a claim for my dog for over £6000, they gave me lots of help/advice via the phone as i had never had to claim before,
I'll check that out thanks. Just unsure as to what I should be paying monthly for him at the moment.

·
Registered
9,035 Posts
Be careful with More Than and read the small print. We changed our insurance to Direct Line when More Than altered their terms and conditions so that as well as paying the excess, you also had to pay either 10% or 20% of the bill as well (depending upon the animal's age) - and we had five dogs and two cats insured with them and had never had a claim! As far as I know, they are the only insurance company to do this.

I did this thread about it at the time, which you might find interesting:

http://www.petforums.co.uk/general-...ance-check-your-renewal-quotes-carefully.html

·
Registered
56 Posts
There are a great number of pet insurers out there. Maybe try a comparison site first to get a general idea.
I would then suggest looking at the terms to ensure it provides the exact cover you want. Many policies are time limited. Petplan are usually covered for life plans, though they can be expensive.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
PF member AlbertRoss has a very informative website that's worth a look Pet Insurance. Compare pet insurance policies from the major pet insurers and save money

I have recently changed companies and gone with John Lewis for Poppy. It cost £12.43 a month (no charge for spreading the cost over a year) for their premier cover of £12,000 per year for a Bichon and I chose the £60 excess which is the lowest. Once your pet reaches the age of nine or over, the excess alters and you pay the excess chosen or 20% of the treatment costs, whichever is greater, for each condition, in each period of insurance. I looked at PetPlan which was more than double the premiums for her.

My son's dog was insured with More Than. They have paid out, with no problems, approx £4,000 for investigations and treatment, endoscopy, MRI scan, etc., and will pay out the purchase price of the dog if he can find the original receipt (dog had to be PTS). They have had to pay 10% of the claim, that's not connected with older dogs as she was only 4 or 5. One medication More Than wouldn't pay for was Panacur as even though it was used as a treatment (lungworm was suspected at one point), because it is a routine wormer it is excluded.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Be careful with More Than and read the small print. We changed our insurance to Direct Line when More Than altered their terms and conditions so that as well as paying the excess, you also had to pay either 10% or 20% of the bill as well (depending upon the animal's age) - and we had five dogs and two cats insured with them and had never had a claim! As far as I know, they are the only insurance company to do this.

I did this thread about it at the time, which you might find interesting:

http://www.petforums.co.uk/general-...ance-check-your-renewal-quotes-carefully.html
That's a bit old now - but the sentiments are generally right.

PF member AlbertRoss has a very informative website that's worth a look Pet Insurance. Compare pet insurance policies from the major pet insurers and save money
Thanks for the mention.:thumbup1:

I have recently changed companies and gone with John Lewis for Poppy. It cost £12.43 a month (no charge for spreading the cost over a year) for their premier cover of £12,000 per year for a Bichon and I chose the £60 excess which is the lowest. Once your pet reaches the age of nine or over, the excess alters and you pay the excess chosen or 20% of the treatment costs, whichever is greater, for each condition, in each period of insurance. I looked at PetPlan which was more than double the premiums for her.

My son's dog was insured with More Than. They have paid out, with no problems, approx £4,000 for investigations and treatment, endoscopy, MRI scan, etc., and will pay out the purchase price of the dog if he can find the original receipt (dog had to be PTS). They have had to pay 10% of the claim, that's not connected with older dogs as she was only 4 or 5. One medication More Than wouldn't pay for was Panacur as even though it was used as a treatment (lungworm was suspected at one point), because it is a routine wormer it is excluded.
I stopped putting More Than on my site because a) their excess is excessive :rolleyes: and b) they don't get very good feedback generally.

lols82 - click on the link in my sig below and then click 'Free Report'. It'll tell you just about everything you might need to know about pet insurance. One tip - when describing your dog say simply 'crossbreed' and don't mention what the parentage is. It'll probably save you money. :)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, I'll check these out today; obviously I'm want to get the best insurance for him but not want to have to pay way over the odds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.