Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog Insurance?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Jilly, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Jilly

Jilly Guest

Hi Guys, I was just wondering if any of you have dog insurance? If so which companies do you use and do you think that they are good value? Has any one got a low premiums but a good policy......if so please share!!!:D:D:D

2. bullyb

bullyb PetForums VIP

im with more than.....two bulldogs £40 for both :D

3. lizd4688

lizd4688 PetForums Member

im with more than for one and direct line for the other.
    morethan are very good and payout very fast.

4. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

I'm with argos, I have a platinum package with an online discount of 20%, it costs less than the gold package as that is a set price, it costs me less than £15 for my border collies and has a good policy (well I think so) I think the price is higher for certain breeds, it was slightly higher for my mothers German shepherd, not too much though)

5. bordercolliepup

bordercolliepup PetForums Senior

I'm with healthy pets , haven't had to claim on anything yet ( touch wood now I've said it ) so don't know what they are like but The policy is the top one and covers for ongoing illness ect.
    I had a friend that was with Tesco's and they were really bad to claim from.

6. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

I also hear that about Tesco, my mother is with them but her policy is up for renewal and she is changing

7. jan-c

jan-c Guest

Marks and Spencers for mine, though I only have 1 breed it is a different price for each of them. When I came to re-new one of the policies went up by £9.
    They do pay for ongoing illnesses though. Some of the cheaper ones will only pay for the first 12 months and is then excluded the following year:mad:

8. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

my pet insurance provider continues for the entire length of the illness at the platinum level but their gold and silver options do not,its just for the first year

9. jan-c

jan-c Guest

Yes it is a minefield out there. A lot of people have been caught out that way not reading the small print and finding out too late:( Changing companies does not help as they then will not cover the previous illness.

10. Brainless

Brainless Guest

The dog I have in partnership has been Insured with Healthy Pets, as the Pinnacle Insurance kept going up and we had never made a claim

I do not have any of my own dogs insured as no way could I afford the premiums for 4 or 5.

I had an unlucky year from Christmas 2006 to 2007 with Vets fees. Jozi had Mastitis Boxing day, so about £250, then Lexi had an ear infection that took months to clear up, and included ear syringing, total of £535.

Then Jozi (8 years old) had an Epulis on her Gum and a lump on her neck, both needed removing costing about £400.

Now my oldest at 10 would be £35 a month to Insure, so a bad Vet year is only what a years premiums would be.

I have a line of credit set up for emergencies and find it cheaper to put a sum of money away for Vet expenses and pay any unusual bills off using credit. The interest and fees will work out cheaper than Insurance.

I do have a breed that generally has rude health, and as I have bred them all myself I have made all human effort to ensure they are likely to be healthy.

11. Angel

Angel PetForums Senior

I am with more than....
    The excess i have to pay is £75 for under £500 bill.
    Or if its going to cost more than £1000 then i have to pay 15%.

I pay £131 a year.

12. Puppy Love

Puppy Love PetForums Senior

I am thinking of using Halifax pet insurance - having been looking on the net for a good policy and price this one at the moment is the best.

£105.26 per year with £50 excess and good coverage for Irish Red Setter.

Im still keeping an eye out for a good policy as she has 6 weeks free insurance from Pet Plan and we have only had her 1 week tommorrow.

Bye for now

13. hammy hamster

hammy hamster PetForums Newbie

Hi, I got a discount by going through my works union literature.
    I think it was EandL.co.uk

May be worth a look.:)

14. Brainless

Brainless Guest

That company have a very bad reputation for paying late or trying to wriggle out of claims.

15. AJ

AJ Guest

I have my dog insurance with Halifax its about £10 a month now and thats after they increased it after we made a claim for vets fees in the first year. They dealt with our claim quickly and without any problems so I would definately recommend them and I wouldn't recommend many of the companies I've dealt with!

16. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

When Zak was alive we used Sainsbury's and they were extremely good. Do check however, that your policy is a good, comprehensive one, and covers dogs into old age.

17. Ferret

Ferret PetForums Junior

Hm, yes I would be very interested to hear what the typical exclusion are regarding pet insurance?

Do some breeds cost more than others? Do premiums increase with your dogs age?

Are some more expensive treatments not covered?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice