Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog Insurance who is the best?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by SarahBluePaw, Jun 24, 2009.

1. SarahBluePaw

SarahBluePaw PetForums Member

Hi

I looking for advise and opinions on the best dog insurer in cost and service.
    so many out their petlan, tesco? or healthy pets?

2. rona

rona Guest

I use Tesco, the only problem I have had is the length of time it takes for them to settle the claim, 4 weeks the last one, but they have always covered any claim.
    Do make sure you have lifetime cover though, a bit more expensive but more piece of mind

#2 rona, Jun 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2009
  3. Pamela

Pamela Guest

I agree you need to make sure its lifetime cover, I have Holly insured with Petplan.

4. HighlandQuine

HighlandQuine PetForums Senior

We're with M&S, seemed to be the best and most reasonable for lifetime cover when we were looking.

5. mollyismyworld

I'm with Petplan Lifetime cover for dog and cat.

I had been reading other ins threads yesterday, and so, went online to double check my terms and conditions etc and to compare what I already have.

I pay around £35 p/mnth for Molly, £15 for Piglet and they are both on the most expensive 'top' cover as I learned my lesson when my cat was ill and it cost me over £2000 a couple of years ago...I thought, being a house cat, nothing of huge expense would be needed. How wrong I was...he had a lot of time hospitalised and I had to stand the cost.

But, as i said, I was checking through my policy last night, and I wondered if other people have read all the small print.

My pets have to have yearly dental checks ( luckily they had them last week anyway) for insurance to be active. If they are not up to date with all vaccines (mine are!) and they contract a related disease, insurance will not be paid.

My cat is not insured for his previous problem, and, even though that is stated in my policy, they can still query any other illnesses they think came as a result of the first.

If you pay by direct debit and default, you are uninsured if you don't repay within 10 days. ( I'm a stickler for it, but some might not be!).

My pets' covers are unlimited annual payouts with the most expensive cover, but for anyone who joined after April 09, the payout is reduced to £12,000 per year. ( Still a lot, but how unlucky people just missed out!).

And, if you are changing policies, remember the 14 day period of no insurance, or that you will not be covered by new insurers for old illnesses.
    Also, if you tried to combat this by staying with old ins co. until 14 days into your new one, and anything should happen to your pet, the 2 companies may fight as to who pays, or only offer their part.

All the threads lately have made me check and double check my insurance as I have read some real horror stories on here...there are some very niggly little parts of the T&C's that could cost you a fortune should your pet become ill....my advice...read it all very thoroughly! :)

6. fluffybunny2001

fluffybunny2001 PetForums VIP

i use more than.Had noi problems so far,

7. Frenchie

Frenchie Banned

Consider whether you want lifetime cover. It is generally advised, especially for dogs.

With lifetime cover you will have money to spend on vet care every year: your vet fees allowance is replenished to the original amount at renewal. Also, once you start claiming on a condition, there will be no exclusions. This means that contrary to time limited (Tesco) or condition limited (More Than, Direct Line) policies, you will be able to claim for ongoing conditions, year on year.

Providers of lifetime pet insurance are Petplan, MandS, Pet Protect, Kennel Club i think too.

I hope this is helpful. More information on lifetime cover (also called lifelong) is available on my blog (see below).

Good luck!!

8. SarahBluePaw

SarahBluePaw PetForums Member

anybody used healthy pets good insurance bronze silver and gold covers

9. reddogs

reddogs PetForums Senior

I've heard good reports about Animal Friends - any comments.

Having looked in to insurance and then put it on to the back burner, yet again, as I couldn't decide and really only want major incident i.e. expensive cover and not have to bother with all the niff naff things we though that our 10mth old puppy had hurt himself - not a problem, easily fixed so had an X-ray - bilateral hip displaysia and whilsty mangeable is likely to need a hip replacement !!!! How cross am I with myself for not sorting it out?

So now I've got to go through the whole exercise again to decide which insurance to take out for the new baby.

Trouble is the quotes are generally £2-300 per year for each of my dogs and we've got 5 now and you know that there would be exclusions all over the place - loads of money which, if I had been good like I said I would and put that away each year would add up to the hip!

I am fortunate in that if it comes to it I can afford to pay but the moral here is insurance really should be taken seriously if you are not in the position that you can afford to shell out £2,000, £3,000 or more.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice