Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog Insurance Query

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by GoldenShadow, Jun 23, 2009.

1. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

I've had Roo insured with Argos since February, and before that he never had any issues or anything. Yesterday he had to get a steroid shot at the vets, and vet said if redness in ears comes back he will need a longer and more intensive course of treatment, which means I'm going to get ripped off if it comes back! If it does come back and he needs more expensive treatment over a period of time, how would I get Argos to help me out? Do I claim some money back as the treatment goes on, any idea if they pay something like 20% or 50% (he has gold cover, up to £4000 vets fees a year).

Also, with being a golden retriever, as Hip dysplasia can be genetic/environmental, not 100% sure etc, if Roo develops hip dysplasia, they would surely have to give me some money towards treatment, seeing as he has been insured with them since he was 7 months old, and there was no evidence to suggest he may have issues in the future with his hips?

Sorry for all the q's, it dawned on me after yesterday that I have no idea how this works..

2. The gold cover I believe is only an annual policy so you would only be covered for a 12 month period! The better cover (platinium I think) is their life cover which pays for the treatment for the life of the dog so long as the policy is renewed!
    regards
    DT

3. Becci-in-Hull

Becci-in-Hull PetForums Junior

I dont have a clue because my dogs are not insured. However I have just got a new pup and Im now alot older and wiser than before when I got my other dog so Im looking at insurance now also.

So I will be lurking around this tread to see what people say.:D

4. GoldenShadow

So does this mean that if he say gets hip dysplasia, and I claim off them, when I renew my insurance after 12mo's, they wont cover it as they will class it as a 'pre existing condition'??

If so I will grab the phone and upgrade asap! They are going to hate me, I rang them up the other day to get his details changed to neutered as opposed to in tact, and a few days before that pestered them as they got his DOB wrong :blushing: the things I do for this dog..! Gold cover is quite cheap at the moment anyway, its only about £11.33 a month so a few more £'s hopefully wont break the bank!

5. Basically YES! and re-existing conditions will be excluded from an puture policies! Ring Argos and upgrade if you can! there customer service is pretty good. BUT check that they are not going to put any exclusions on the life policy!

6. rona

rona Guest

Mmm if you upgrade they may not cover his ear problems so do check before you do it, it is definitely worth upgrading even so.
    My boy is going to be costing me above £1000 a year from now on because I only have annual cover

7. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

when I claimed on my dogs insurance I asked them to send me a claim form which I signed then the vet filled it in with all the proof of what his treatment cost 7 days later money arrived. I had to pay the vet up front first.

8. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

do you mean that with the platinum cover they will pay out for ever for one condition. I have never insured dogs but that certainly isnt an option with horses, once something has happened it is excluded.
    You will need to notify them about the ear problem and risk it being excluded because if it gets worse and you claim you will get a form for the vet to fill in and he will say he has treated the ear before and you will then be in breach and get nothing.
    Most insurances work that there is a pre arranged excess which you pay and then you get the rest of the bill paid up to whatever the limit is.
    Just a thought, on the life cover one do they limit one condition to set amount so in fact you wouldnt be able to claim indefinitely because you would reach the limit after a year or two

9. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

just had a look at it, the platinum is up to £7000 per incident for an ulimited time and a £60 excess. Not bad but a lot of money for the premium.

10. Frenchie

Frenchie Banned

Hi there,

Regarding your first question, you can submit your claim straightaway provided it's over the excess. I believe they charge the excess per condition per year? You have 60 days from first signs of illness/accident to send the claim form in.

Then you can submit a claim for ongoin treatment. It should be easy.

Regarding the hip stuff, you can upgrade to platinium but it is not a lifelong cover. You're limited to £7,000 in vet fees per condition, which means that once the £7,000 is up the condition will be excluded too. You'll probably get the ear problems excluded from the policy as well but to be honest you'll get that after 12 months anyway since you're on the Gold Cover. If most of the treatment has been done, you may think of upgrading cover straightaway because hip displasia is quite expensive to treat.

If you're looking for true lifelong cover, try M+S or helpucover.

Hope that's been helpful!

11. GoldenShadow

Thanks for the info!! So Argos don't do a lifetime policy at all?? If I were to upgrade to Platinum, and he needs treatment for his ears, even though we knew his ears had problems, would we still be covered as we didn't claim off them for it and were insured with them at the time?

Seeing as my boy is at risk of hip dysplasia etc, would you guys recommend lifetime cover for him?

12. rona

rona Guest

If you have seen the vet about anything in the past, it probably won't be covered, it's not what has been claimed for but what problems you are aware of when the insurance is taken out.
    So if you have had any x rays for hips, they may not be covered if you change.
    Be careful

13. Sari

Sari PetForums Member

As I understand it the OP was only worried about the hips because Golden Retrievers are generally prone to hip dysplasia - her dog has not actually been checked for it. In that case, her dog will be covered for hip dysplasia on her current insurance but as it is an annual policy, it would only be insured in the first year she made a claim. After this, the dog would be excluded for any claims for dysplasia.

A lifetime cover plan would be of benefit as you can claim each year until you reach the maximum claim amount BUT you will have to pay the excess amount every year. Before you take out Lifetime Insurance you need to check whether the amount you can claim "resets" every year and you must keep it going otherwise you might as well have an annual policy. You also have to be aware that your premiums may soar if your dog has an ongoing condition. In other words, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't! :smilewinkgrin:

14. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

True of ongoing conditions, but if your dog cuts itself, you can still claim for any future cuts as they are separate 'conditions'.

15. Frenchie

Frenchie Banned

No, Argos dont do any lifetime policy. You might not be able to upgrade to a superior level of cover, it varies according to the insurers. Give them a call and see if they can upgrade you and carry on paying for the ear problems. Have them confirm in writing if possible.

You can also look at switching provider. If so, go for a lifetime policy especially as your dog is prone to hip dysplasia. If your dog hasnt shown any sign of it yet, then it will be covered.

But remember that by switching insurance, ears condition will be classed as pre existing and wont be covered by the new policy. Ask your vet if the ear problems are likely to reoccur and how much it could cost. You might find that's a bigger risk than hyp displasia.

Hope this helps!

16. GoldenShadow

Brilliant, thanks very much guys!

I plan to get Roo hip scored at some point for my peace of mind, but have no intention of doing this before I have an insurance policy I intend to stay with!

I think re his ears/allergy, it appears to be grass pollen causing him difficulty, and hopefully after the next month or so it will lessen. My worry is that 10 months seems early to have an allergy and I'm worried he may have several...

I think in the long run though, allergy tests etc are likely to be cheaper than Hip Dysplasia, as I know of goldens who have been on a LOT of pills, then had a total hip replacement, then been on TONNES of pills after..! I'm undecided on what to do but will give Argos a call in the morning, thank you very much everyone, had NO IDEA about all this!

17. mollyismyworld

Tinsley,

would just like to add that I don't see Frenchie on here a lot, but when I have, the advice has been the best, especially regarding a case where a woman was in bits over her lack of insurance.

Read Frenchie's advice over and over....I do! :)

18. Frenchie

Frenchie Banned

Oh thanks! Appreciate the feedback :)

Tinsley, remember that tests like allergy test that are done in prevention of an illness are unlikely to be covered. You are generally covered when there are signs or symptoms of a condition.

If you want to do some, then talk to your insurance first to make sure. If you do the tests, find something and decide to take preventative measures, these won't be covered.

19. Frenchie

Frenchie Banned

Finally if you do the tests and discover an allergy but then decide to change insurance, conditions resulting from this allergy will be classed as pre existing and therefore excluded.

Good luck!

20. I think you will find if you check the policy wording that the Platinium policy is a life policy! Albeit - any visits (prior to commencement of the policy) to the vets for whatever reason would be listed as an exclusion .

Also - remember! any visit to the vet - even if below the excess should be advised to the insurers within 21 days, otherwise you could be in breach of policy T&C's

regards
    DT

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice