Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog Insurance for Two Dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by sky-summer, Apr 20, 2011.

1. sky-summer

sky-summer PetForums Member

Hi,

Looking to add our new puppy to dog insurance. At present we have Leia and she is insured with PetPlan but its £21.52 per month.

I want to now insure both but at a reasonable cost as I do not work due to health problems.

Anyone recommend a good one that:
    Has Lifecover
    No limit per condtion
    And not a huge Excess (Petplan is £90).
    As I have been told this is what I need to look for....

Thanks in advance.

2. AlbertRoss

AlbertRoss PetForums VIP

Have a look at my site for Dog Insurance. Most of the 'good' insurers are listed there and you can see who offers lifelong cover.

No company will offer you a 'no limit per condition' because it's entirely possible that an accident which required major reconstructive surgery could cost thousands.

Pet Insurance comes in 3 forms:
    • Lifelong, which is what you have with Pet Plan where you have an annual maximum payout regardless of condition but where they'll keep paying year after year, (I think that's what you are implying by 'no limit per condition')
    • Per Condition where each condition is paid out for separately but has a limit on that condition although they'll pay out over several years if necessary (until you reach the limit for the condition) and
    • Annual where they'll only pay for one year for any condition up to a maximum of all claims for one year across all conditions and then exclude those conditions from any future claim.

Most excesses are around the same sort of amount BUT some companies will charge an excess of a fixed amount plus a percentage of the claim (e.g. £60 plus 10%). These are best avoided but such excesses tend to be common (and imposed by current insurers) when your dog reaches about 8 or 9 years of age.

Lifelong is best. If you are limited in funds to pay for it look at M&S, John Lewis, Aviva, helpucover.... or VetsMediCover. The latter is comparatively cheap and offers a pretty high payout but only insures illness and injury (not loss / death or other things others provide) and they'll only pay the vet directly. You can find direct links and summaries for all these on the site above.

In all cases read the policy before buying. Hope this helps.

3. sky-summer

Thank for your the long reply. Do I really need one that covers loss or death? Do most people have this? I really think I only need it for vets bills - am I wrong? Also paying straight to the Vet is surely a good think not bad, is it not?

Thanks

4. ridgeback05

ridgeback05 PetForums Senior

try john lewis...got a really good deal for my dogs with them.

5. sky-summer

Hi,

Just got a few quotes,

M&S cover upto £7,000 vets bill and Excess is £70 and Leia would be £16.49 and Sasha £17.06 Total £33.55

But

John Lewis cover up to £7,000 excess of £70 (i think I have got that right). Leia £12.17 and Sasha £11.99 Total £24.16.

So think I will choose John Lewis and cover seems really good and I am paying £21.52 just for Leia at present with PetPlan and they only cover up to £4,000 in vet bills.

So paying just a few pounds more for both dogs and cover is greater.

Thanks so much everyone who answered :001_smile:

6. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Is that John Lewis or is that Green Bee?

Argos aren't bad depending entirely on where you live. Lifelong for my 2 year old golden retriever was £11 a month in Lincolnshire but shot up to £21 a month in Essex.

7. sky-summer

It was John Lewis (online quote).

P.S. Great photos

8. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

wow thats good value, well done for finding it :001_smile:

9. GoldenShadow

I know GreenBee are meant to be really good and John Lewis own them or something so I would think their own named one would be decent enough. Its hard as a lot of the time you can't find people using the policy you have.

10. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

I dont know how old Leia is or if she has had any medical problems up to now.
    One thing you would have to consider if you are thinking of changing both dogs to a completely new company, is that any conditions Leia has previously had would likely not be covered so you wouldnt be able to claim as they would class it as pre existing. Ive had it with two of mine, One was a policy change, the other was a brand new policy, but because as a pup she had had stomach upsets and even though it was connected to worm/coccidia
    infection, they put on a exemption for digestive upsets full stop. They did lift it after a year though, but I ha to apply and it wasnt a guarantee they would,
    she also had to stay digestive problem free for a year too before I could apply.

11. ridgeback05

ridgeback05 PetForums Senior

12. GoldenShadow

13. sky-summer

Gone with John Lewis details below:

Underwritten by AXA Insurers
    Excess £75

They do 4 policies all Lifecover - I asked for quote for two highest. Quote is for ongoing condtions.

Leia £7,000 vets bill was £11.00 and £10,000 vets bill was £11.55
    Sasah £7,000 vest bill was £11.42 (as she is still a pup) and £10,000 was £11.99

So if I had the both on £7,000 it would be £22.55 a month
    OR
    £10,000 was £23.41. So going for this as its only a few pennies more and much more cover.

By phoning I got a 5% discount of both and its just one policy number, no interest to pay monthly.

Hope this helps anyone else looking :smile:

14. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

Wow that's a fab price! Might give them a ring for my boys x

15. AlbertRoss

AlbertRoss PetForums VIP

John Lewis have dropped the marketing name 'Greenbee'. It's all John Lewis now.

NB You will get the 5% discount if you apply on line too. You don't have to phone.

#15 AlbertRoss, Apr 20, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice