Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog holds pee and waits till inside to pee

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Erica Liu, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Erica Liu

Erica Liu PetForums Newbie

I spent a good month toilet training my cavoodle puppies, however one of them holds her pee when she’s outside, and once shes sees an opportunity she dashes inside and lets it all out on the floor. Her brother is a lot smarter than her.

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I wonder if you used puppy pads? That can make dogs think indoors is the place to toilet. You might want to have a vet check to rule out any medical issues but if it turns out to be behavioural rather than medical, go back to basics with toilet training.

Take her out, if she doesn't toilet within a few minutes, bring her in and don't take your eyes off her. After 5 minutes (or sooner if she shows any signs of wanting to toilet like sniffing, circling etc) take her back out. Repeat until she toilets outside.

Toilet training happens when two things come together - the ABILITY to hold the toilet, along with the DESIRE to hold it in order to earn the reward for doing so.

When she toilets outdoors make a huge fuss (never mind the neighbours, act like outdoor toileting is the best thing you have ever seen) and reward her with a high value treat. Do that immediately, don't make her come to you for the treat so she is clear that it's for toileting and not for coming to you. The idea is that she wants to earn the treat enough to hold the toilet until she is outside - once she is physically able to control her toileting obviously. If she has an accident inside don't react at all. If you get annoyed she may learn to fear your reaction and avoid you if she needs to toilet - the opposite of what you want. Dogs cant make the distinction between you being annoyed at them toileting, as opposed to toileting indoors. Take a rolled up newspaper and hit yourself over the head for not having taken her outside in time. Not when she is there though in case you scare her. Then clean the area with an enzymatic cleaner to remove any trace of smell that might attract her back to the spot.

As with most training, you will need to work on this without her brother. You should have a look into littermate syndrome.

3. Erica Liu

Erica Liu PetForums Newbie

we never used pee pads. We have a laundry room connected to outside via dog flap that is closed off from the rest of the house by sliding door. The dogs know not to pee in there because we took them straight from their crate in there to outside. But now we want to introduce them to the rest of the house. Our training only consisted of laundry room to outside, not house to outside.

We want to start letting them in the house, and take them out to pee once we see the signs, but I can’t differentiate exploring sniffing from i need to pee sniffing.

Hope you understand what i mean. Thanks

4. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Well, the advice still stands. Take her out more than she needs to go so her bladder stays empty and big praise and reward for outside toilets until she makes the connection that outside toilets earn lovely rewards.

Bugsys grandma and Lurcherlad like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice