Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog Hiding and Licking

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by JenBB, Jun 5, 2018.

1. JenBB

JenBB PetForums Newbie

Looking for some advice. My 7 year old mixed lab started acting strange a few months ago. He started licking the roof of his mouth ALOT. Licking the carpet, his feet, his lips. Eating grass; but he has always eaten grass, so he does not vomit. There is no vomiting or food/appetite changes in this case.

Took him to the vet and they did full exam and Bloodwork- both were fine/normal levels. They suggested antacid (famotadine 20mg) twice per day. Did that for 2-3 weeks with no change. They gave us tramadol (tranquilizer) to give him, but I don’t want him to be sleeping all the time, which is what that pill does.

He is hiding/laying behind couches, and acting more jumpy than normal, (he’s always been skiddish as a rescue, but i’be had him since he was a pup). He’s petrified of rain, storms, but is at the same time super hyper around small animals ( little dogs and squirrels especially). Screechy scream hyper. It’s embarrassing really!

He won’t take treats when we leave. So I was thinking separation anxiety, but what would cause that all of the sudden? Then at night he wants to hide behind the couch or lay in another room.

When he goes for walks, rides or to play outside he is super excited to play and smiles. It’s mostly at night or when we are leaving for work or going out that he acts this way.

We have also tried the adaptil DAP collar for almost a month now with no real improvement. I will likely get another one, but I am worndering what other tips you all might have.

#1 JenBB, Jun 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  2. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Have you thought about having a behaviourist to have a look at your dog? I am no expert but your dog sounds stressed. Has the atmosphere changed in the house at all, for example are people arguing or is there an atmosphere of tension or any change recently.

Do you work at weekends? Does your dog seem more relaxed when you are relaxing with him?

When you say it happens at night, do you mean in the night when you are sleeping or during the evenings?

I would maybe keep a little notebook and start watching and noting the dog's behaviour, who is in the room at the time. Noise levels (inc tv, music etc) atmosphere. Is everyone relaxed. Things like that.

If you still can't see any pattern to it, at least you will have some info for a behaviorist.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'smiles' being super excited does not necessarily mean happy. Sometimes it can mean that the dog is in a heightened state of arousal and isn't calm.

Does your dog know how to settle down and relax do you think? That is something you can teach.

These are the kind of things i would be turning over in my mind if this were my dog, but as i said, i am no expert so if nothing i have said seems remotely on track, please disregard! Hope you get to the bottom of it

JenBB likes this.
  3. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Tramadol isn't a tranquilizer but a pain killer, it can have side effects which can include drowsiness but this won't be in every dog. My dog takes this & isn't sleeping all day at all but it does help with her pain.

Has your vet checked your dog over Is there any joint discomfort? Is there any noises that might be causing hm to be upset? Agree that keeping a diary is good way to gather info & maybe film your dog so your vet can see what's happening

4. JenBB

JenBB PetForums Newbie

Thank you. I will definitely do a journal and seek out the behaviorist, we have only been to our primary vet so far.

My husband had been laid off since January so he is always home with him. Which he could have gotten used to real quick. I think he is stressing too, which is what I would like to get to the bottom of. We have an older 11 year old lab also, and they are BFFs. I was worried that he was sensing an illness with his brother maybe?

In the evenings, as in we are settled in watching TV after dinner and he hides behind furniture. I can get him out and he will cuddle on my lap and sleeps hard.

When we walk he is super amped up, tongue out, and looking up at me for approval, I wouldn’t think that is negative arousal. I do think the heightened arousal around small animals is too much though.

Journal started!

5. JenBB

JenBB PetForums Newbie

My mistake. It’s Trazodone 100mg.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice