Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog heat cycle help

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Engel98, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Member

A couple of days ago I got a 4 year old poodle mix whom is intact. I have already got a bitch (now spayed) so I know about the heat cycle to some extent.

When we got her she was quite matted but I noticed that her vulva was quite swollen which I know happens when a dogs on heat. While shaving out the mats there was what looked likel old, dry blood within the mats.

According to the previous owner she was last in heat in August. (Although several other months were mentioned after and the fact she has had 2 litters already; 2-3 yrs ago)

Is it fair to say she's been in heat?
    While she's been with us she hasn't bled, been receptive, flagging or anything.

(NOTE: I have already said to the vets that I want her spayed as there's plenty of animals in rescues, but if she's been/going on heat I will have to wait 3 months).

2. David C

David C PetForums Senior

Hmmmmm not all bitches bleed when in season some are very clean and you don't notice what bit is there. One thing im thinking is if her vulva is swollen and no signs of her flagging or being flirty with your boy etc is there any chance before you got her that she had been near an entire male?? Bitches stay a bit swollen when they are pregnant. so might be worth taking her and getting her checked over at the vets, scanned etc

3. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Member

Don't tell me that! Last night I learnt that where she came from and that there were 3 intact males. I took her to the vets last week (to restart her jabs as the previous owner didn't keep up with them) she didn't say anything about a possible pregnancy. My other bitch (now spayed) had a pregnancy scare at the end of last year. We mentioned it to the vet and she said she wouldn't know until the scan recommended at 35 days so I guess the same would apply to her too. She will have her second set of jabs soon so will ask the vets then which will also give the swelling chance to go down (if it does) as I'm not 100% sure where in the cycle she is. If she is pregnant I know 100% its not happened when she's been with me as my male has been kept separate even though he is neutered. I've also kept her in so there's no chance that a dog has jumped the fence to get to her. Lets just hope she's not.

4. David C

David C PetForums Senior

If you have already had her a few days then i would give her another 25 days or so and get her scanned to make sure and if not get her booked in for a spay asap

Engel98 likes this.
  5. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Member

Ok. She has the vets in 3-4 weeks anyways so I'll speak to the vet about it. I've already been told that the earliest she can be spayed is May.

David C likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice