Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog having nose bleeds, any similar experiences?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Acorn and auger, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Acorn and auger

Acorn and auger PetForums Newbie

I’m new to this thread and I’m not looking for medical advice as we are seeing our vet for weekly appointments to try various antibiotics etc. However I would appreciate hearing if anyone else has had a similar experience with their dog!

Approx. a month ago my dog Teddy started having coughing ‘fits’ (not a seizure, but like a cough that he couldn’t clear and it would end with a big sneeze that resulted in nose bleeds). He’s 12yo and has always been healthy up until this point. We booked an appointment first thing for the following Monday as the nose bleeds were worrying.

The vet considered lungworm or a blood clotting issue but both were ruled out after having blood work tested. Then he discovered that Ted’s upper back teeth were seriously decayed (we felt awful)! He scheduled Ted in for a tooth extraction and put him on antibiotics for the infection.

Ted has had blood tests and urine samples all come back clear from blood, heart, lung, liver problems so all good. He had his teeth removed two weeks ago and had an x-ray of chest and head and nasal swab taken whilst under.

X-ray identified bone damage in nasal area and swab identified 4 distinct cell types which at the time the vet suggested could be tumour related. However since having the cells analysed he has found no tumour/cancer cells! He continued to have antibiotics to clear up any remaining infection the tooth decay might have caused (they were really badly decayed apparently and turns out he had 4 teeth removed rather than the 2 the vet originally told us it would be). Since his teeth have been removed he started to have a more snotty nasal discharge from the nostril that is showing bone damage and sadly/frustratingly it has now turned back in to (not as bad as before) nose bleeds and no more coughing but sneezing instead! It’s more of a gentle trickle of blood from his nose and not enough to drip on the floor like it was when we’d first noticed it a month ago because it was everywhere back then!

Has anyone had a similar experience or similar symptoms? We’re at a bit of a loss. A google search of symptoms always led to nasal cancer but the vet has now ruled that out... So yeah, not looking for medical advice more just of a ‘our dog had similar symptoms, it turned out to be...’ as I’m wondering if there are a wider range of causes for nose bleeds in dogs than what I’m managing to find online!

I must add that since my dog has had his teeth out and been on antibiotics, other than the nosebleeds, he’s back to his full-of-beans self, his appetite is great, his fur is softer than I ever remember it being (and that’s saying something as he’s got wiry fur and it’s so SOFT) and even some hair loss and pigmentation he had around the snout appears to be coming back.

TIA x

2. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

No advise, but couldn't just read and run.

Hope they sort out the problem soon, must be such a worry for you.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

I'm wondering if it's allergy related? A combination of his tooth problems and inflammation of the nasal passage due to hay fever might be causing it?
    Even if he's not suffered from allergies before if he's already got nasal issues it certainly won't help. My girl has really suffered with allergies this year, much worse than normal.

4. Acorn and auger

Thank you Happy Paws— it certainly is! Hearing the big C word from the vets felt like a terrifying end to the road! However still not feeling very reassured that the vet still doesn’t appear to know what is causing it and even as I type this now Ted is sat next to me with a small nose bleed :-(

5. Acorn and auger

We originally thought it might be hay fever as the week he started coughing and finishing with a big sneeze (just before the nosebleeds started) was the week myself and many people I know had a massive attack of hay fever and wondered if it had affected him similarly. It’s definitely something I’m going to raise with the vet when we see him next!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice