Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog hates walks

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Hayley Pennant, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Hayley Pennant

Hayley Pennant PetForums Newbie

Hello everyone I have an English bulldog who is just over a year old he's never been excited to go for a walk and will sit in his bed before putting him on the lead however just lately he has started to shake uncontrollably whilst myself or my husband are getting ready to take him out eg. Putting on our shoes and coats once the lead is on he will refuse to budge and we are having to give him a little tug to encourage him to move as you can imagine it's not an easy feat as he weighs nearly 30kgs!
    Once he is out he loves it on and off lead meeting new dogs running about with our 4 year old son its just the getting him out the door.
    The shaking is starting to upset me now and I'm not quite sure what to do about it so any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

2. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

Is he walked on a harness or a collar?

Is he overweight? Is his breathing ok? Does he have joint or mobility issues developing? Are his feet sound? (Dont forget to take off the dog mum goggles first though, bulldogs are typically not a healthy breed)

Is there something by the door (inside or out) that could be spooking him? Try changing up the routine and see what happens; going out the back gate, taking him in the car, different equipment etc

If it's just a recent thing too, a vet check absolutely wouldnt go amiss

3. Beth78

Beth78 PetForums VIP

Ruling all of the above out, I had the same problem with my lurcher.
    We were advised by a behaviourist to take things very slowly.

I sat with her on the doorstep until she wanted to go further, and when she did she got a treat and a "good girl".

After afew weeks she felt it was safe enough to walk down the roads and get into the car for a good walk.

I can't stress enough that this took time and patience, go at you're dogs pace so they feel safe and can trust you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice