Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog hates kittens

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by riajayne, Jul 7, 2009.

1. riajayne

riajayne PetForums Newbie

I have a 9 month old male springer who really does not like my cats kittens. previous litters he has chased them and pinned them down. My cat has a litter thats just 9 days old. He today when i showed him 1 tried to grab her in his mouth. I would really like to keep her but im scared he will kill her. Any tips on how i can stop him from being soo nasty to them and get him used to them being there without having to keep them out of sight.

2. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

How many litters have you had in the 7 months you've had your dog?

I'm afraid I can't help, but I'll bump it up and perhaps someone can help x

3. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

My last foster was a Huge Rotti. He wanted to chase my cats and play with them. His paws were like as big as my cat, they were just young.

I started off putting a gate across the hall so that the cat's could escape and the dog could not reach them. The cat's pretty much stayed out of his way for a few days.

I put Buddy on a half choke and left a lead on him. He was obsessed with food so that was the way to teach him, whenever he was near the cat's I would shout ''leave!'' and tug on the lead. The instant his concentration on the cat was broken, even for a split second, I then told him ''Down!''. I was training using a clicker so clicked at the point his concentration left the cat, and as soon as he was down.

It took a long time, a lot of effort but it did work.
    I could eventually have him in the same room as the cats and he would just lie in his bed.
    One day my friend was over, the dogs were both happily playing, Milo walked in. Buddy hit the deck and looked at me wagging his wee stump. My friend was in stitches!

People may tell you to make going near the kittens unpleasant to the dog. Don't. The best way to teach him is by him learning that something really nice happens when he leaves them alone.

x

4. riajayne

I have had Milo for 9 months as he was born here so he was raised around my 6 cats. We have had 4 litters of kittens since he was born and whatever we do he never seems to stop

5. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

cant you just keep them seperate some dogs can never be trusted around cats, my friends mongrel killed one of her adult cats even though they had grown up together:(

6. brackensmom

brackensmom PetForums VIP

Hi Ria
    I think the advice Poison Girl has given is worth trying, hope you can have a happy home again soon.:) Also perhaps putting the kittens in a safe place ie crate and just letting the dog see them but not be able to get to them, and treat him if he is being good around them. And yes hopefully he will then learn that by leaving them means treat time which is good.

7. riajayne

Thanx for your help guys. This will be our last litter of kittens as all my girls have been neutered and nala will be as soon as these babies leave. I just hope Milo doesnt react the same around new born pups as he does kittens

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice