Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog has been unwell on and off for 3 weeks

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Kaz90, May 28, 2020.

1. Kaz90

Kaz90 PetForums Newbie

Hi! I'm posting to hopefully get some advice for my vet appointment tomorrow. Long story apologies in advance.
    My dog was committing and had diarrhoea about 3 weeks ago. Took her to the vet and he said to give her some tablets and try her on chicken and to come back in two days.
    Two days later she's not much better so they kept her in for 2 nights on a drip. Sent home with more antibiotics and some wet food intended for gastro problems. A follow up was booked for a week later.
    She improved slowly over the next few of days and then went down hill again. Lethargic, not interested in food and more diarrhoea this time with blood. So I rang the vet and brought the follow up forward. This time I brought a poo sample and they've sent it off for testing. Sent home again with different antibiotics this time liquid form and different foods. She was back to her old self within a couple of days and I am due to go to the vet for another follow up tomorrow but again today she's lethargic, small amount of blood in poo and no appetite. I feel like everytime we go to the vet there's no definitive answers and he just seems to be trying different things until they work. He mentioned it was probably some form of IBS type of disease but that hasn't been confirmed as of yet. Is there anything I should be asking tomorrow. I'm at my wits end and my poor Belle deserves to be back to her usual energetic happy self. Any advice would be much appreciated and sorry for it being such a long story I wanted to put in as much detail as I could.

2. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

Pancreatitis??

3. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Will they be testing for campylobacter and giardia?
    Campylobacter needs a specific antiobiotic, then further poo tests to check it's cleared as it can take more than one course of the antibiotic; it is VERY infectious so be careful to clean up every sloppy scrap of poo. Giardia is a protozoan parasite.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice