Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Dog has a loud churning stomach

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by LuciaD, Jan 9, 2019.

1. LuciaD

LuciaD PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

So this is going to sound really strange....It's hard for us and even the vet to make sense of it!

Our little pooch Oreo suffered from very bad gastroenteritis. He is on a bland diet at the moment for 8 weeks to just let everything calm down and he hasn't been sick for weeks and his poop is now solid and normal brown colour....so we're heading down the right path!

Every 3 days, at 8am (yes the pattern is strange) his tummy makes this LOUD churning sound, as if he were hungry, but he's not, he's eating two good meals a day! The vet said it could be gas, or acid. It leads him to having no appetite for a few hours until it passes and then he eats again later in the day when it's stopped! But that's all that happens....it doesn't result in vomit or diarrhoea.

This never happened before he was struck down with gastroenteritis so I'm absolutely baffled and wondering what's causing it, why it's happening and if it's just his body still trying to recover so he's still going to have minor setbacks.

Anyone ever experienced anything like this before or are you as baffled as me?!

2. pennyLokiMUM

pennyLokiMUM PetForums Member

Sounds like a build up of Gas which can make a dog nauseous especially on a soft diet, after having a bad bout of gastro I would be feeding little and often rather than 2 big meals and make sure before bedtime he has a little biscuit or what ever so he never sleeps on an empty stomach, ask your vet if you need antacid like Zantac or something to manage wind. Does this happen before exercise or after feeding or before feeding, 8am has Oreo been fed or walked, I never feed before exercise and always leave 2 hours after feeding before a walk, my two dogs both have sensitive tums get fed 6/12 and 5 and then at 9 a few biscuits, they are 9 and 13, good luck

LuciaD, Burrowzig and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. ttaylor45

ttaylor45 PetForums Member

I used to have a toy poodle not the ones pictured that would suffer quite regularly with the same as your dog where is tummy made really load noises and he wouldn’t eat. He used to stretch his back legs out as if he was trying to relieve the discomfort. He was diagnosed with coliltis and was prescribed buscopan tablets by the vets which definitely helped. I do wonder in hindsight whether he would have been better on a grain free diet but this was not suggested at the time. He was originally my mums dog and was fed on Pedigree chum which was considered a decent food at the time which isn’t the case now but this was nearly 15 years ago. The two in my photo whom as sadly lost last year were mine from puppies and were fed on grain free food all their lives as one of them was a very fussy eater and that was what he would eat.

LuciaD and Burrowzig like this.
  4. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Sounds very much like an empty tummy to me. Could well be that her tummy is more sensitive following the gastroenteritis. My little dog suffers from this and it does make her not want to eat sometimes. Usually I can tempt her with wet cat food, and then after a few bites her tummy feels better and she will eat normally.

Try giving a small meal at bedtime and/or feeding breakfast earlier.

Burrowzig and Lurcherlad like this.
  5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I’d be inclined to give a late night/early morning snack to try and fend off the issue.

I had an ulcer years ago and the pain/discomfort was worse when my stomach was empty.

6. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

You may find 4 meals a day will help. One last thing at night, another first thing in the morning.
    Very regular meals helps my little one through tummy issues. Sometimes hourly.
    I stick with 4 meals a day and we have less issues.
    Charcoal biscuits are good at absorbing nasties that cause gurgle tums but address symptoms rather than cause.

Lurcherlad and Burrowzig like this.
  7. LuciaD

LuciaD PetForums Newbie

It's always first thing in the morning before he's eaten or been walked. We have anti-acid tablets, shall we give to him every time this noise occurs or every day? We have changed to little and often now, hopefully that makes all the difference. We have taken away the soft gastro food and stuck with the Hills Z/D kibble the vets prescribed.

8. LuciaD

LuciaD PetForums Newbie

Hello, Oreo has always been on a grain free diet. The vet is adamant it's his body still healing from a very bad bout of Gastroenteritis. We are going to stick to little and often with the prescribed Hills Z/D food that they have given us, see if that makes a difference. We have ditched the wet royal canin for now.

9. LuciaD

LuciaD PetForums Newbie

Just seems strange because he was eating two big meals, plus treats throughout the day, he's only tiny so he couldn't possibly be hungry. I think it's acid or gas build up. We give him an anti-acid tablet and within two hours it clears up and he scoffs his food again

10. LuciaD

LuciaD PetForums Newbie

We have to strictly keep him on this prescribed kibble for now. I will do 4 small meals a day with one just before bed and see if that makes a difference. It's just strange that it happens every 3 days and not every day! He has been eating the same times every day so it's very weird.

Mum2Heidi likes this.
  11. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Maybe give his anti acid tablet tablet at night when his tum is going to be emptying to control the build up of acid?

It will be a bit “suck it and see” to find out what works for him.

kimthecat and Mum2Heidi like this.
  12. LuciaD

LuciaD PetForums Newbie

So we took the advice from here and gave him something before bed....it just delayed the noise. He got it at 12pm today instead of 8am so it still happened. How does this acid build up stop though? I don't want him to have to leave off medication for the rest of his life. This never happened before he fell ill :(

13. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

It can take a while for the healthy gut bacteria to flourish after a gastric bug.

14. LuciaD

LuciaD PetForums Newbie

That's what the vet said. So you reckon keep with it? When the tummy makes that squelching noise give him an anti-acid? Yesterday for example he scoffed 4 small portions of that Z/d Hills prescribed food, kept looking at the bag for more! Today he hasn't touched it yet but I guess he's uncomfortable with this stomach churning noises.

His poop today was small and rock solid and the right colour brown, so we're going down the right route for sure. It's just this final little bit.

15. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Be guided by your vet but he needs to feel comfortable in his tum in order to get his appetite back to normal.

16. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Perhaps a tummy supplement like Yudigest or Bionic Biotics? When Heidi had a bad upset it left her tum v sensitive. I was at the vets regularly until I started her on BB. Then she started to improve.
    Feeding even more frequently may be the answer. When Heidi has a bad bout of reflux I sometimes have to feed her hourly day and night to sort it.

17. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

What about some live natural yoghurt to rebalance the gut flora?

Happy Paws and Lurcherlad like this.
  18. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums Member

I give my 3 Yakult twice a week to help with the good bacteria in the gut

Happy Paws likes this.
  19. JessandJackson_x

JessandJackson_x PetForums Junior

I was going to say the same as Niamh123 - mines had the bad runs for 4 days getting better now (my fault giving raw pork).... and i am giving him in the mornings after brekky, a small bowl of Lancashire farm natural bio yogurt.

20. magpi

magpi PetForums Junior

My JRT Belle had periods when her stomach literally squeaks and gurgles. The vet gave me Zantac liquid and probiotic paste to add to her food. We add the paste to her food every day and she has,nt been troubled since

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice