Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Dog harness opinions

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by TobyBoxer, Dec 31, 2011.

1. TobyBoxer

TobyBoxer PetForums Junior

JUST RELISED I POSTED IN THE WRONG SECTION COULD A MOD MOVE IT PLEASE. REALY SORRY

My mum has been using a harness on our boxer puppy.
    Personaly i think there a great idea and Toby (Our Boxer) dosnt seem to mind having it on. He is now to big for his puppy one and i want to get him another one.

But i would like to know what people realy think of them?

#1 TobyBoxer, Dec 31, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  2. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

I love harnesses and think they are very comfortable for dogs to walk in. My dog pulls on a normal collar, so a harness suits him well. He rarely pulls on his harness, but if he does, he's not choking and isn't hurting himself if he pulls. It also gives me more control over his whole body rather than just his neck/head.

I use this harness currently:

Perfect Fit Harness for dogs and cats

Its the best harness I have come across (and I've gone through a lot of harnesses to fine the right one for me and Ollie). It fits Ollie perfectly (whereas other harnesses used to not fit his chest (he's got a wide girth but small chest)), its very comfortable because of the fleece and you can also change parts of the harness, which is useful for growing dogs or if you wanted a different colour harness.

3. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

harnesses are great! especially for dogs who have sensitive necks or ones which spend a lot of time on a long lead :)

If you're looking to get a new harness, check out my website Indi-Dog Made to Order Collars and More January sale starts tomorrow

4. TobyBoxer

cheers guys. just wasnt to sure on the general feel from people on harness use. It would also help my mother as well as she is didabled. so will help her as the dog gets bigger have better control.

She wants to use toby as a pat dog at some piont aswell.

5. Doberma'am

Doberma'am PetForums Junior

A harness on a big dog is a disaster waiting to happen, IMHO...But people seem to find them easier, sometimes. :) My dogs use a harness how they're meant to; they pull on it.

I'm sure if I got a harness that "stops" pulling, they'd be less sled-dog-y. But a harness just means they can use their entire body to pull me toward a road or something...So I'd rather they feel a bit uncomfortable when they pull on a collar, and not cause a RTA. :cornut:

6. TobyBoxer

good point mate. but if its me walking it it wont pull lol i am 23 stone. lmfao

7. Doberma'am

Doberma'am PetForums Junior

It's all muscle. :thumbup1: :D

8. TobyBoxer

nope its fit fat mate as it fits all over. or relaxed muscle as i like to say lol. am hopeing that toby enjoys walking lots and will help me loose some int he new year lol

9. redroses2106

redroses2106 PetForums VIP

i love harnesses
    my dog is a super puller so much that she makes horrible choking noises,
    with a harness i have way more control over her and shes not chocking herself when she does pull, its definaltly been a great training aid for me.

10. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

Harnesses aren't a training tool, they simply mask the pulling problem by not enabling the dog to pull.

I certainly wouldn't use a body harness on a pup as it can damage their growing joints - if a dog is trained properly, there shouldn't really be any need for them.

#10 swarthy, Dec 31, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  11. TobyBoxer

there seems to be alot of fors and against harness use. thanx all for your views.

12. sskmick

sskmick PetForums VIP

I have always used a harness for my dog. He's a Staffie and I was concerned about his neck when the lead was attached to his collar. I prefer flexi-leads which I couldn't use properly when it was attached to his collar.

He he happy to wear a harness, it is padded and I check the fitting every time I put it on him to ensure a comfy fit. I also feel I have full control of him without causing him any discomfort.

I think a nice sensible harness looks smart too. :thumbup1:

13. TobyBoxer

they do look good lol.

and to me they sit in the right places if ya need to check ur hound. as in my pressure points than a nsty choke chain

14. redroses2106

redroses2106 PetForums VIP

well a harness has worked as a training tool for me personally, without a harness i would never of been able to get her into the heel position to start treating her when she does walk to heel, and yes it does help control the problem but it controls it in a way that i can use that control to train something with just a collar i didnt have the strength to do.

15. ouesi

ouesi Guest

I have 2 great danes and two large mutts, and two young children who love to walk them. I’ve recently invested in two front clip harnesses for the younger two. My dogs are all trained to walk nicely on a lead, but they’re dogs, and when kamikaze squirrels jump out at them I can’t guarantee they won’t react.

Since mine are not really pullers, I wasn’t sure how well these harnesses actually work until the other day when my 9 year old daughter was walking one of the danes. This ninja cat materialized out of nowhere, landed in front of the great dane (the hugely prey driven one) and just as quickly darted off. My daughter was able to hold the dane through the lunge. Granted by then I’d collected my wits and had the dane under voice control, but the fact that the dog twice her size didn’t yank my daughter off her feet was pretty impressive to me.

As a different aside, the more I read about things like wobblers, the more I think about all the important organs in the neck (thyroid), and the effect a tight collar or just periodic trauma might have on blood flow to the brain and those important organs, the more I’d rather see my dog in a harness than a collar.
    Front clip harnesses work on the strongest part of the dog - chest and shoulders - and make it physiologically impossible to pull, its really a clever design.

A couple warnings though. Dogs can and do back out of harnesses, so if you don’t know how your dog reacts, best to have a back up by also clipping the leash to a martingale collar.
    Make sure the harness is fitted correctly and doesn’t chafe the dog, especially around the armpits. Some are fitted with fleece or velvet to make them more comfortable.

16. DOGPERSON

DOGPERSON PetForums Member

Hi, I am a dog walker and have found that any dog raised on a harness generally enjoy pulling the owner along.

If a dog has a sensitive neck then they can use a halty. There are very few dogs or owners who really benefit from them. The choker chain when used correctly is the universal training and walking tool. If a dog chokes on a standard collar, which our puppy did, then the choker is the ideal next step as you teach them to not pull and they get positive feedback by the noise of the chain tightening that they are pulling too hard.

17. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Wow, um, no... Choke chains are NOT good options for pullers. I guess you’ve not seen dogs with collapsed tracheas?

Sorry don’t mean to be rude to you, but I would hate for someone to see this and think a choke chain is a good idea for a dog who pulls, or a “universal” tool. Yikes...

18. TobyBoxer

the thread is about opinions. i would like every one to express there.

19. ouesi

ouesi Guest

FACT: Putting something that progressively tightens around your dog's neck and pulling on it for the length of your average walk repeated over several months, years, can and does cause soft-tissue damage.

FACT: Many breeds are already genetically prone to issues such as collapsed trachea, mega E, wobblers, thyroid disease.

Why on earth would you knowingly contribute to so many potential issues?

In my opinion, there are far too many other options that prevent pulling that don’t cause physical damage to your dog to even consider putting a choke chain, slip lead, or any such device on my dog.
    If my 9 year old can hold a great dane twice her size in a front clip harness, I’m pretty sure its a viable option for most dogs/owner combinations.

20. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

What? as the use of harnesses can do to a young puppy by damaging it's growing joints? :eek:

If a dog is trained correctly - in pretty much any instance, I see absolutely no need to use a harness and see no valid reason for using them on a young pup.

Human body size and weight are irrelavent to the size of the dog if you are walking / holding the lead correctly as you shouldn't be using your body weight to hold / control the dog.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice