Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog guard

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by princesspinky, Aug 7, 2009.

1. princesspinky

princesspinky PetForums Junior

Im buying a dog guard later for my car. I help out at my local RSPCA branch. i only have a ford KA so a very small boot. Hopefully it will be enough room for puppies though.
    Are they easy to put up?
    Relliable?
    Mine is from Halfords - £26.99
    Should there be enough room for 2 lurcher puppies?
    Will it fit ok in KA? :eek:

2. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I think your best bet is to go to halfords and ask them if you can try it in your car??
    My dad did that with his focus, and the staff were very helpful, and brought out one of each dog guard to his car to see which was going to be best.

x

3. Dundee

Dundee Banned

I have no idea of the size of a Ka, but would guess it's not very big. The problem with many of the universal ones is that firstly, they take up a fair bit of space and secondly they are not particularly stable. If you are transporting puppies, then I don't think size would be a problem, but safety and security may. If you do get one then it may be best to get it securely fixed or an alternative may be a small crate on the back seat which you could find you can secure using the rear seatbelts.

4. davehyde

davehyde Banned

do the seats in a ka fold forward? i know the boot is very small.

you may be better if the seats go down, assuming you dont need the back seats, and get a guard that fits behing the front seats.

failing that i would go for harnesses or crates that can be secured safely to the seat belt points.

5. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Does a Ka have rear seat head rests??
    Halfords are selling at the moment a really good dog guard that securely fixes onto the head rests in the back.

When we get our new car that is the one we are getting.

x

6. Snoringbear

Snoringbear PetForums VIP

I used a universal one at first the problem was that they don't fit securely. You just wind them out so they fit by pressure but they stand vertcal and the back seat is sloped so once you have a few dogs in their, they lean against the uprights which makes it fall down on top of them. You'd be better off buying a cheap manufacturers one off eBay that fits securely into the proper fittings. I got one off eBay secondhand and it's been very good.

7. Dundee

Dundee Banned

Just had a look on the Halfords website and the one that Poisongirl suggested that fits onto the headrest looks good (although not sure about how it adjusts to size), but I would avoid the tubular kind - a complete waste of money IMO.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice