Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog Grooming

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by harley bear, Mar 23, 2011.

1. harley bear

harley bear PetForums VIP

Im really indecided of what i would like to do when my kids are in school, ive been thinking that i would like to do dog grooming and the more i think about it the more i like the idea.
    I was thinking of getting the qualification as soon as the kids start full time school and once i have the qualification working for myself, this would mean i could work a few hours a week and work round the kids.

I was just wondering what qualifications i would need etc and how long it would take to get them.
    Any thoughts or advice will be much appreciated:D

2. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

City&Guilds is your best bet.
    The courses are usually around £3.500 and are about 40 days long

3. harley bear

Bit costly aint they?

Im going to look into founding i think because i never went onto college and when oh did his plumbing course it would have been free if he hadnt done an NVQ in art.

4. Patterdale_lover

All dog grooming courses are quite costly. City & Guilds is the best qualification you can get. Courses at colleges local usually run about 3 weeks long and cost about £800 but aren't as thorough or good as the C&G

5. harley bear

I thought the courses would be a lot longer than that! I suppose you dont have to do written exams either.

6. Patterdale_lover

There is some theory involved its more about putting together a portfolio of dogs you have groomed etc and keeping a diary of each dog you have done.
    My brothers girlfriend is a prof. Dog groomer and she did an apprenticship, she didn't do a course. But she was extremely lucky to find that opportunity. I'm doing a City& Guilds next year as I'm looking to own my own dog grooming business later on in life.

7. rcmadd

rcmadd PetForums VIP

my mrs went to broomfield college to do dog grooming... it lasted a lot more than the 3 weeks mentioned....
    the course she did was split into 2... bathing and grooming.. then clipping and styling..and lasted(from memory) 20 weeks.. she also had to take dogs in with her when it came to clipping.

i believe things have changed since the new tutor has been there..so im not really sure what happens there now..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice