Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

dog grooming using garden building

Discussion in 'Dog Grooming' started by GALSY, Sep 17, 2013.

1. miss caz

miss caz PetForums Newbie

2. miss caz

Dear Galsy

I have read your initial post about obtaining planning permission. Please could I ask you for a copy of your planning enquiry. Many thanks
    Caroline

3. GALSY

GALSY PetForums Junior

hi Caroline

I managed to get the wording added to this post .. have a look at my post on the previous page

thanks, faye

4. miss caz

Hi Faye
    Thankyou for that, yes ive found it, brillant!

Caroline

5. Saski

Saski PetForums Newbie

Well I was all ready to send an email to my local council planning department, setting out all the details of converting my shed and business details. But decided to phone them first and see if they could tell me whether I needed planning permission for change of use.

I spoke to the duty officer and explained how I wanted to convert my shed and I would be working 9-5 with a max of 4/5 dogs a day on appointment only basis. He said he would check and went away for a couple of minutes, came back and said I didn't need any as long as I wasn't planning to employ anyone. I asked him if I should send him details of the set up in an email and he said there was no need I could go ahead. He literally asked me nothing. Strange, it seemed way too easy.The whole conversation was less than 5 minutes.

6. Mandy Allen

Mandy Allen PetForums Newbie

Hi I am just about to take the plunge myself, we are going to use one end of the garage. Would you mind sending me a copy of your planning enquiry. thank you so much

7. AndreaO

AndreaO PetForums Newbie

Hello Galsy,

I am yet another dog groomer in the making looking for some advice :) I will soon be starting my training with a view to starting up on my own and am also looking to work from my garden in a summer house, though not yet purchased!

Regarding the planning, are you able to send me a copy of your application please, my email is ao14@hotmail.co.uk, I'd be very grateful. This is all quite scary but exciting at the same time. Any advice from anyone would be most welcome, especially the best place to get a hydro bath etc...

Hope your enterprise has taken off and everything is well....all the best!

8. Jane Peacock

Jane Peacock PetForums Newbie

Hi Galsy

I know you've had many message asking for a copy of your application, I'm in the process of send one to the council as in the next couple of months I'm going to be converting my garage to a grooming salon, would you mind sending me a copy of it please, my email is jane@hipgrave586.orangehome.co.uk
    Thank you Jane

9. ProudPoodleParent

ProudPoodleParent PetForums Newbie

Hi Galsy,
    I have been grooming dogs for many years. I started as a child helping my Mum look after our pet Poodles. Toys, Minitures and then Standards. When my mother had a stroke I ended up looking after her 2 Standard Poodles. When we lost one of those to Rainbow bridge at the ripe old age of 16. I got my own Standard Poodle and she is such a beauty that I showed her in Championship shows and she did very well in her classes. We also showed at Crufts on occasion so. I lost my Mum's other Standard to rainbow bridge when my own girl was 12months old. Tess was 15. I taught myself to show trim my girl . Full Puppy-Puppy pants and Continentel we did very well. I also had 2 litters from her but was rubbish at letting the pups go. The vetting procedure was long and arduous. (People can be so silly when getting a family dog a lot of people don't think Poodles need grooming!) I did halve 5 Standards and now I have 4. People have brought their dogs to me for grooming for the last 8 years. I groom part time only one dog at a time and only a max of 2 dogs per day. But I don't groom for others every day. It's a bit sporadic, 3 times a week a absolute maximum. Double glassed 45mm thick log cabin is where I work from. I am a qualified professional dog groomer now.
    I did have cause to see an enterprise scheme mentor recently that told me if I called the council and asked if I was allowed to work from my property as a dog groomer, and that they agreed that there was no reason I could not. I would not need planning permission as long as the outbuilding was a multifunction room. (Used for more than just grooming) I would not be changing its use to a business premises only! My grooming gear is in the room but I personally use of it for exercise, entertaining storage and a sun lounge. (Storage and Leisure) primarily the use has not changed.
    I would however really like a copy of the planning paper you sent in just in case my mentor was mistaken!( I don't think he was though!)
    I would always add that a really good dehumidifier/air con unit is a must for the cabin groomer. Dogs don't overheat, groomer doesn't over heat and you keep the noise down from the neighbours by not opening the windows.
    Think how you would feel if you were your own neighbour as noise can be really annoying!
    Very many thanks

10. Suzie24

Suzie24 PetForums Newbie

11. Suzie24

Suzie24 PetForums Newbie

Hi there,

12. Suzie24

Suzie24 PetForums Newbie

Hi there,

I know you posted this some considerable time ago but I could do with some help. I am looking to groom from home in a converted trailer in my back yard as I cannot afford a garage or shed conversion and I picked up a second hand trailer very cheap. My local council have told me I will require planning permission to operate from home for a change of business use as there is already business permission for the property to run an electrical business form our old dilapidated workshop. I currently do not pan to use the workshop to groom from, that is something we will look into in the future once we have some spare cash to have the necessary building work done to preserve the workshop. The Council have said I need to submit a change of application via the planning portal to include location and block plans, and CAD plans/drawing of my trailer!!! Are you in anyway able to send me a copy of your original application if you still have this as I know you were assisting others on this site who were also looking to do something similar. My e-mail address is: suzie_24@hotmail.co.uk. Much appreciated if you are able to help.

13. Bron68

Bron68 PetForums Newbie

Hi galsy would you be able to send me a copy of your planning application please

14. malamute

malamute PetForums Newbie

hi is there anychance i could have a copy of the email plz billiesharma@hotmail.com

15. Lisa13167

Lisa13167 PetForums Newbie

I think galsy might be getting a few too many request so if she has sent anyone the planning permission form please will you forward on to me , thanks people X

16. Lisa13167

Lisa13167 PetForums Newbie

Sorry people iv just seen galsys uploaded letter , good luck everyone x

17. CharlotteHill

CharlotteHill PetForums Newbie

hi galsy, please could you help me out by sending me the form also? im really struggling to know what to say to my council, planning permisson is so expensive i need to word it best can and give all the info i can in the hopes that i wont need to apply fully for permission! im sure you understand what i mean :) it would mean alot if you could do this for me, i really hope you are still an active member and see this post! it wont let me write my email address so maybe you could message me so i can send it privately? im a new member and have no idea how this site works!
    really hope to hear from you soon, thanks in advance :)

Farrah Elliott likes this.
  18. Farrah Elliott

Farrah Elliott PetForums Newbie

Hi,Thankyou for this advice. I'm thinking of settings on my on business at home in my out building, would you mind sending me your planning equiry please.
    Thankyou :)

19. Sandnsunshine

Sandnsunshine PetForums Newbie

Hi Galsy would it be possible please to also have a copy of your planning permission equiry form that you completed as I'm now qualified and going to start up from my summerhouse any advice much appreciated xxxx samantha_caan@hotmail.co.uk Xx

20. Sandnsunshine

Sandnsunshine PetForums Newbie

Please could I possibly have a copy of what you sent the council as I'm starting up from my summerhouse and want to do everything correctly thank you in advance , Samantha x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice