dog grooming using garden building

Discussion in 'Dog Grooming' started by GALSY, Sep 17, 2013.

1. stusumner

stusumner PetForums Newbie

2. redhotbond

redhotbond PetForums Newbie

Hi I come under Camden/London and have a grooming shop but want to down size and work from home and install a cabin in the garden, , can anyone send me copies of there aplications please,

3. leanne edwards

leanne edwards PetForums Newbie

hi galsey,

You have given great advice i was just wondering if you could send me a copy of your planning permission please it would be a great help. Also would i need to inform the water company and electricity company about using the supply in a log cabin? kind regards Leanne

4. Saski

Saski PetForums Newbie

Hi Galsey
    I am just about to start a c&g dog grooming course and I'm also doing work experience for a local dog groomer who works from her garage. I would like to set up my own dog grooming business from my shed (which is a large wooden/part brick shed with a solid concrete floor). It has electricity to it, but no water supply. I only want to do max 3/4 dogs 9-5.

I know lots of people have asked, but could you email your planning application. sallyskinnerbbh@gmail.com
    Also if you or anyone has any advise how best to deal with water supply/drainage and sound/insulation I could do with some advise.

Cheers

5. hattie67

hattie67 PetForums Newbie

Hi Galsy

I set up in my garden with a 14ftx10ft shed/workshop for my dog grooming business a couple of months ago. Researching, I was under the impression I didn't need planning permission as its an outbuilding in a private garden. However, neighbours who rent on one side (so who will prob move on in a while after causing all this grief) have complained to the council for whatever reason. They had a privacy issue which we corrected with a brand new fence, twice, as it wasn't high enough at first (and its not our fence, its their landlords) but we did it to keep the peace anyway. I received a letter from the council saying I may have breached planning regulations, then filled in the relative bits, sent it back and waited four and a half weeks. Then, last week, received another one saying I need to apply for full planning permission, with diagrams, and a payment. Do you have any info you can help me with regarding this issue, whilst I await an answer with baited breath? Am really worried I may have to stop my work.

6. GALSY

GALSY PetForums Junior

Hi Hattie

Any building in your garden is there for storage or leisure. You need planning permission for 'change of use' to a business. This needs to be approved by the council before setting up any business in a garden building. Most councils will accept the change of use request by email or letter with no need for a full application. However, all councils are different and some will request full application completion with drawings, plans and neighbour agreements. If I was you, I would try and send an email with all details of your business to see if they will accept this (I can send you a copy of the email I sent. It details everything from floor plan; business hours; number of clients visiting property; soundproofing etc). If they reject it then you will need full application and agreement from them that you can continue your business in the meantime.

When you set up a business from home, you also have to have building warrants approved for any structural change and approval of utilities fitted to the building.

You also have to check with your mortgage company that they allow a business on a property that they are mortgaging and that there is nothing in your title deeds wording. You also have to make sure you have separate insurance as most standard insurers won't cover any damage relating to the business.

Some people don't go through a lot of the approvals I mentioned above but it is a big gamble as it just takes one complaint from neighbours or a disgruntled client to get council involvement or one insurance claim for an assessor to see that the mortgage lender or insurance company have not been kept informed.

Good luck and private message me your email address if you want a copy of my email.

7. hattie67

Hi Galsy
    Thank you for your reply & info. Please can you forward me a copy of your email.
    Kind regards

Hattie

8. hattie67

Hi Galsy

Thanks for the reply & info. I have proper insurance & plumbing, electrics, etc. I googled permission & didn't think from what I read that I needed it as it was a free standing building & not an extension on the house. However, it was obviously wrong info so now, even tho I have replaced the 'renting' neighbours fence twice to their requirements, I am still awaiting a reply from the council as to whether or not I may continue/make alterations or whatever.

Business is going well so far too, & at present is only part time as I work full time still as am waiting to see if it does that well I can reduce my long hours, hopefully, with the NHS.

Kind regards , again

Hattie

9. hattie67

Hi Galsy

I have sent off all requested info, plans & fee to the council so now have to wait to hear the outcome. Pls can you send me your email info as this may be of some help.

Thank you
    Hattie

10. GALSY

GALSY PetForums Junior

hiya Hattie

I replied a couple of times to you via private message asking for your email address as it isn't something that needed to be added to public forum...can you send me PM with details

11. Nicpov

Nicpov PetForums Newbie

Hi there, I am in the process of drafting a pre planning application to my local authority who advised me they have been refusing dog groomers recently :0( I would very much appreciate a copy of your planning enquiry to allow me to be one step ahead if possible- I also have old neighbours who oppose everything in the street! Any help would be most appreciated. :0)

12. Harbs

Harbs PetForums Newbie

Hi Galsy,

I'm new here and not sure how to send a PM lol. Ive just qualified as a dog groomer and I was also thinking about setting up from home. I have just looked into getting a big summer house to convert but after reading all your messages seen that there are a few hurdles to overcome. Any information and advice would be greatly appreciated.
    I too have been stuck in a mundane job for 20+ years and desperately need a change

13. GALSY

GALSY PetForums Junior

Here is a copy of my email to my council covering everything they would ask is detailed below. Edit it to suit you....it is a very frustrating process as it is all dependant on the council & the person working on your case so you can never predict the outcome. Just don't give in, if anything is refused, appeal. Providing photographic evidence also helps.
    You are wanting them to give you permission to change the use of the building from storage to business based solely on your email. If they accept this, you can get started with your dream without having to fill out a big paper application or get neighbours permission:

Name:
    Address:
    - not a listed building; no relevant restrictions within house deeds/land register; not in a conservation area
    At the end of this year, I will be training as a dog groomer. My ambition is to convert my small outhouse in my garden to use as a base for grooming dogs.
    As a result, I am writing to request guidance on planning permission for the change of use of the building.
    The building is of brick structure and has an internal floor dimension of 8'x5'.
    There would be no external or structural changes made.
    There is already electricity fitted in the building but I would have this checked and any rewiring or circuit breakers fitted in line with regulations. Plumbing would be the only new work required to install pipework within the building for a bath. The water pipes and waste outlet are already beside the building so the work required would be minimal.
    The walls would be insulated internally to neutralise noise which would only be from a hair dryer/trimmer for a maximum of half an hour per groom.
    A secure door and locks would be fitted along with security lighting but all grooming equipment would be removed at the end of each night and stored in my house. The building will only have a dog bath & grooming table permanently secured there.
    I intend on picking up any dogs from clients and bringing them back to the house. However, if clients wish to bring their dog to me, there is ample parking in ******** Street and I have a private lane at the back of the house that can be used to minimise disruption further. Clients will only be at my residence for a few minutes for drop off/pick up. Any dogs brought to the house will be kept on leads at all times and any dog fouling will be disposed of.
    I only intend on grooming 2 dogs a day and it will take several months to build up a client list to this scale. Each dog will only be at my residence for a maximum of 3 hours (shorter time once my grooming speed improves with experience). I will only work within the hours of 9:30 to 5pm, Monday to Friday, in line with the hours that my neighbours are out at work. I will not be working evenings or weekends. I have lived at my home for over 11 years and I am good friends with all my immediate neighbours and will discuss my intentions with them to ensure they are happy with the 'change of use'.
    I have a large fully enclosed private garden leading up to my garage and private lane at the back with pathways. The path to the front road is also gated with tarmac pathing. All is safe and secure and very private.
    Liability insurance will be set up and Building Standards and Licensing Board contacted where applicable.
    There will be no external advertising and the outhouse is not visible to the public due to fencing and neighbouring building blocking view.
    There will be no dog boarding or dogs kept in cages.
    There will be no trade waste as any dog hair will be incinerated in eco-friendly smokeless stove.
    I have attached photographs for your reference (currently used as a greenhouse and storage area). The first image shows the view up the enclosed garden (garage and private lane are behind the furthest away tree). The second image shows the outhouse from the back garden looking toward my house.
    In summary, I would like permission to use my existing outhouse as a base for dog grooming on a small scale. There will be no structural changes. I will work within business hours to ensure there are no disruptions to the surrounding residences.
    I realise I may have went into more detail than is needed at this point but wanted to provide a full picture of my ambition. Let me know if you require any further information and, if planning permission is required, what do I have to do next.
    Thank You"

Lisa13167 likes this.
  14. Harbs

Harbs PetForums Newbie

Galsy,

Thank you so much for your help. I wouldn't have known where to start!
    Hopefully I can get things moving now and start doing something I enjoy
    Again thank you for sharing your email your very kind x

15. Saski

Saski PetForums Newbie

Thanks Galsy for all your help, it was very informative. It's so difficult to know where to start, but I have now officially started my course.:)

16. Nicpov

Nicpov PetForums Newbie

Thank you so much for this. Email drafted and sent to local authority tonight. Fingers crossed. Nicola

17. KarenPamela

KarenPamela PetForums Newbie

Hi Galsy, Please could you email me a copy of the email you sent to your council. Thank you . karened1967@yahoo.co.uk

18. GALSY

GALSY PetForums Junior

Hi Karen

This forum recently upgraded their layout so it allowed me to recently post my full council email. Please look to the text I posted just a few posts before yours for all the details. good luck

19. KarenPamela

KarenPamela PetForums Newbie

Thanks. I have found it. :)

20. hattie67

Hi Galsy

Sorry for a late reply - my email address is hattiessbns@yahoo.co.uk.

Hope this reaches you.
    Kind regards

Hattie