dog grooming using garden building

Discussion in 'Dog Grooming' started by GALSY, Sep 17, 2013.

1. GALSY

GALSY PetForums Junior

After 4 long nerve racking weeks, my council development team finally contacted me to confirm that I do not need to obtain planning permission to dog groom using my garden outhouse. I was so relieved & chuffed as the palava of obtaining permission and warrants would have put me off changing profession.

They were happy to grant permission because I would only be working 'small scale' between 9:30 & 5 Mon to Fri and on around 3 dogs daily. I would pick up & drop off some of the dogs to minimise traffic at my home. The building will be insulated for noise & all dogs would be kept under control at all times. I wouldn't be employing anyone else to work with me and my outhouse is in a fully enclosed private garden and would have no exterior changes made.

There would be no external advertising and any waste would be removed by me rather than included within household waste.

Any plumbing & electrics would be improved/installed to registered standards & relevant insurance set up.

I also confirmed that the land was not protected or listed & that my mortgage lender and insurers allow this change of use for business purposes.

If you are looking to set up from home, firstly contact your local council with a planning enquiry, providing all the details listed above. This may help secure the change of use (required even if you are setting up in a garage or room in the house)

Hope this helps but if you are thinking of being based at home, feel free to contact me and I can pass on a copy of my planning enquiry to you to adapt to suit your needs.

Now I have the difficult bit of converting the interior and the painful part of buying a bath & table & kit. Not to mention attending advanced classed for grooming from home unassisted....yee hah

2. JR Toby

JR Toby PetForums Junior

Good luck with your new venture. I also got approval from my local council to go ahead without planning permission, had to appeal after first getting rejected but got there in the end, it was all thanks to the advice & support from members on this forum, you don't feel so alone when you can come on here and ask questions knowing you will get replies from experienced and knowledgeable groomers.

3. Emsk123

Emsk123 PetForums Newbie

I'd appreciate any advice! I also have a block chalet/outhouse and rang the council's helpline last week. The initial reaction was that I'd have to apply for planning permission. I then explained that it would be just a base to work from - no signs, limited clients, 9-5pm etc. The operator then asked me to hold the line while he asked a planning officer. Around five minutes later, he said I'd need to fill in a 'Do I need planning permission' form, which I'm still waiting for. Is that what you did?

I am starting a course next year but I am thinking ahead, as it will need quite a bit of work on it.

If they don't allow it, I'll have to get a van and stick it in on my driveway!

4. Braceym

Braceym PetForums Newbie

Hello, I'm in the same boat as you. I'm rang my council and they said I didn't need to apply for planning permission as I'm only going to be working part time and have one dog at a time and for all I know my client base might not pick up and I'll only be working afternoons as I'm working around my supermarket job. My next door neighbour is now kicking off saying they are going to the council and all this (they have always been funny with us) so now I've got to speak to the council again and put all the workmen on hold. I'm worry the council will turn around and say I can't do this, I've already spent quite a bit on my working gear and changes to my log cabin. Do you have any advice for me which can help me out?

5. GALSY

GALSY PetForums Junior

hi

I also completed a Planning Permission enquiry form and was granted permission to proceed without the need for completing a full planning permission application. The council stated that I could go ahead as it was deemed as a benefit to the surrounding area (as long as I only worked standard business hours with only 3-4 dogs a day).

When you submit your enquiry, include everything from my initial post and say how your business would benefit the area.

If only one neighbour is complaining, the council would take this into consideration but would not reject an application solely on this one person. Find out what they are objecting to and find a positive slant on it when talking to the council. If you are able to be flexibile enough to resolve the problem, it will help your submission.

I promoted the fact my garden was private and the building would be sound proofed and not too much increased traffic.

You want to get permission before you proceed. It is the support you need if any neighbours object in the future.

I had to wait 3 weeks for a reply but it is worth being patient. Provide photographs if you can so the assessor can see exactly what is involved.

6. Emsk123

Emsk123 PetForums Newbie

Thanks, that's really helpful advise, re photos and benefiting the area (the nearest 'official' groomers is around 5 miles away). Just out of interest, how do you sound proof?

I take heart that there seems to be a lot of home salons all over the country, a lot of which are in residential areas.

Regards
    Emma

7. GALSY

GALSY PetForums Junior

you help soundproof the walls using thick insulation and thick gyprock plasterboard....getting a crash course in fitting this from the hubby...yee hah

8. Susanmairi

Susanmairi PetForums Newbie

Hi. Could I get a copy of your planning enquiry? I would really appreciate it! Hoping to groom from home after completing training.

9. Rosiesmum2010

Rosiesmum2010 PetForums Newbie

Hi GALSY, i'm hoping to groom from my garage at home. Would it be possible to send me a copy of your planning enquiry. Thank you for your valuble help and advice:)

10. GALSY

GALSY PetForums Junior

let me know your email address and I will send a copy to you...can't send it via the Pet Forum message system as there are too many characters

11. Emsk123

Emsk123 PetForums Newbie

How's it going? Are you up and running? I'd love a copy of your planning enquiry too.

12. Haven Pet Food

Haven Pet Food PetForums Newbie

Hia I hope you get this message. I want to convert my garage for dog grooming. Would you please be kind enough to send me a copy of your planning application.

I know you posted your message in 2013 and I Hope that your business is going from strength to strength.

Thank you for your advice so far.

Debbie

13. Haven Pet Food

Haven Pet Food PetForums Newbie

Hia

Would you be able to send me a copy of your planning application. I am hoping to convert my garage.

I start my course on 28 April. Very excited.

Any help, advice would be greatly appreciated. My email address is: glenntaylorsmith@hotmail.co.uk

Thank you very much

Debbie

14. GALSY

GALSY PetForums Junior

sent you a copy but let me know if you have any other questions...have fun on your course

15. Delilahdog

Delilahdog PetForums Member

Good luck with the new business & the new career Galsy, sounds like you are on top of everything !

16. GALSY

GALSY PetForums Junior

thank you delilahdog....set up from home in February. Business is still very slow while I build my client list...only 3 or 4 dogs a week but it gives me time to master my technique then build up my speed. I am annoyed at not being faster but I hope my speed improves while I become more confident.

I am still in the nervous stage of setting up. Nervous about new clients visiting my home; nervous that I muck up the dog groom then nervous that the client doesn't like the cut. Can't wait till I enjoy dog grooming more than I worry about it.

A friend recently opened a groom shop in Newcastle and is feeling the same way & it is all getting too much for her. I am going to travel down from sunny Scotland next month and help her out. It will let her take a break & will let me get enough dogs to gain the experience I need.

Now to prepare for a golden retriever that is booked in for today...need to get ready for an awkward chat with the client as she wants the poor thing fully clipped as she is fed up with hair in the house.

17. Westy

Westy PetForums Senior

I would have had that talk on the phone Galsy before having the dog and owner in front of me, then you could look forward to meeting both of them and doing a good job and enjoy your work. :)

18. GALSY

GALSY PetForums Junior

thanks Westy...already did that...just going to go into more detail once I see the dog as it is a new client.
    The owner is elderly and hard of hearing so the discussion had to be brief on the phone.

19. Delilahdog

Delilahdog PetForums Member

I'm at a similar level with the grooming, but doing it mobile at the mo' because my circumstances don't suit working from home or getting a job in a salon. If appropriate I explain to my clients I am new to the trade and that although I have been trained I am relatively slow. They appreciate the honesty and have all been incredibly supportive. It is frustrating being slow but I guess it will come to us as we become more decisive and em in my case, a bit more organised lol. I do love it though and enjoy it despite the stressy bits!
    Enjoy Newcastle and stick to your guns with the retriever's owner!!!

20. Clara81

Clara81 PetForums Newbie

Delilahdog, are you mobile as in working in a van or do you go to cutomers' houses? :)