Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog Grooming online courses

Discussion in 'Dog Grooming' started by Jumumof2, May 24, 2010.

1. Jumumof2

Jumumof2 PetForums Newbie

Hi, I'm new to this site so I hope I'm doing this right!
    I'm interested in becoming a dog groomer. I have been considering completing one of the online courses that are around, anyone done one if so are they worth doing? Or if you don't recommend, why not and how would you suggest I got into it?
    Thanks, Jumumof2 :D

2. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

personally, i don't think online courses will be that good. experience is the most important thing in dog grooming. qualifications are second really. If you can, go to a college and get a City & Guilds dog grooming qualification, preferably level 3, but might have to do level 2 first. In the meantime, you could volunteer at a groomers, or find a groomer who will train you up. These opportunites are rare and obviously loads of people will be competing for it so may be hard to get into that way.

3. Jumumof2

Oh ok thank you. The nearest college to me that do a practical course is 20 miles away so a bit difficult really. Might try ringing round to see if anyone needs any volunteers though.
    Thanks again.

4. dawnie24

dawnie24 PetForums Junior

Hi i did an online grooming course aswell as getting hands on plus i worked in a vets and a kennels since i was 14 so an online course was defo worth the money,aslong as you go straight into a salon like i did ,ive now been grooming 7 years.The course i did was an intense one so as soon as i got there i was clipping straight away it was fun.x

5. Jumumof2

Thanks, thats really helpful. I work in an office part time at the mo and completely hate it so, because of the money, I was hoping an online course would be helpful and hopefully doing dog grooming would take off so I could give working in an office up. I have every Friday off so I'm going to try and get some sort of experience on my day off maybe.
    Thanks again x

6. JjPhoenix

JjPhoenix PetForums Member

which one did you do? im interested too lol

7. dawnie24

it was a 2 week intense course in sheffield,but my group was the last one as the two people who trined me were in there 60s and were stopping the training they carried on grooming though,i think it was called pampered pets.

8. JjPhoenix

thanks, how much was it if you dont mind me asking?

9. Jumumof2

Hi there, just to let you know I have been looking around for the cheapest online course and found one on www.opencollege.co.uk for £199. Don't know what its like? As I'm not near a college that do practical courses I am considering this one. J x

10. dawnie24

you really need the practical most of the time as that is how you learn more,i nearly did the online one but was glad when i got a hands on one.

11. dawnie24

forgot to add mine was £750 for the 2 weeks.

12. JjPhoenix

excellent thanks, we go grooming at the dog training center where i am too so there wot be a lack of that lol - i was looks at doing the guilds but theres no way i csn afford it :(

13. bassethome

bassethome PetForums Newbie

Hi,

I am a qualified dog groomer, you should really opt for a course which provides both theory and practical. Be aware of online courses as some do not give you all the information you may need such as in the event if a dog should suffer heat stroke or other problems whilst in the grooming room. City and guilds is the way to go. Although there are other practical and theory animal courses avaialble as far as im aware. to be working as aprofessional dog groomer you should really be city and guilds qualified.:)

hope that helps

14. Jumumof2

Thanks, am currently trying to get some practical experience apart from my own doggy :) I have found a college about 20 miles away and might just apply for the beginners evening course, then progress on from that. Not 100% sure that it is city and guilds though? But definately thinking twice about doing an online course :confused:
    Thanks again x

15. jenny76

jenny76 PetForums Newbie

Hi there,

I see ur post and I know it was a year ago and was wondering how you got on and did you do the online course for dog grooming as i am in the same boat as you was I have no grooming schools near me and I have also emailed a few groomers offering to volunteer to learn hands on experiance but as yet I have had no luck.
    Did you do the online course? if you did did you learn ok or did you waste ur money? hopefully I hear back from you to help me make the right choice.

If you did the online one what one did you go for there is quite a few stonebridge college and the open college and ics but reading the reviews they are really bad.

Jenny

16. Jumumof2

Hi Jenny,

I am still wanting to go into dog grooming but still haven't done anything about it. I did contact a few dog grooming salons in my area but none of them needed anyone. I did decide if I ever got the money together I would travel to the college that does the practical dog grooming courses as the practical side of grooming seems to be the way to go really, but they can be quite expensive. I am working full time now so have no spare time to do this :(

Thanks for the comment though and good luck,
    J x

17. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

I am considering one of the online/home study courses.

However, I have already done a years work experience (one day a week for 1 year) through college so have some basics behind me. I am also lucky enough to have my own large shed with 2 grooming tables and loads of my own professional equipment (which certainly isn't kept in the shed lol). I have a variety of different dogs that I currently groom and could probably get hold of a few more.

The main reasons I'm leaning towards a home course rather than an intense course is that I can't really afford to pay over £1000 for a 2 week course, I can't drive so will struggle to travel to a grooming school and I am also quite a slow learner :eek: and fear that I'd miss out on a lot in just 2 weeks. The thought of sending my dog to someone who has only trained for 2 weeks unnerves me :( I like to do things at my own, very slow pace and 2 weeks to take everything in just doesn't sound enough for me, even with prior experience.

I wouldn't do an online home study course if you haven't had any experience at all.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice