Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog Groomers

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Alicia2011, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Alicia2011

Alicia2011 PetForums Member

I am doing an animal management course 3 days a week, and I've always been interested in dogs. I am doing work experience at a cattery and the owner has a lot of longhaired dogs that need grooming regularly, and a few times I've watched them be groomed and I'm really interested in it. I don't know much about it at all but it's something I'd like to look into, but I don't think I can do dog grooming in my course, so, if your a dog groomer how did you get started? Sorry if this is a really stupid question, I really don't know anything about it all :blush:

2. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

You can do a City & Guilds course in Dog grooming which some colleges run. This will get you started, but most employers prefer experience, so if you can, try to get a saturday job in a salon. See if you enjoy the salon environment. It can be a stressful job, with long hours and not great pay. (but then most animal jobs are the same).

3. Obzocky

Obzocky PetForums Member

City & Guilds is a good start, even better if you can get a position in an established groomers with someone willing to train you up. Certificates are good to have, but hands on experience and a portfolio of clients always helps.

You really need to either do one of those short grooming taster sessions some colleges run or get a position as a bather/dryer so you can get a feel for the salon environment. I always found it far more relaxed than people said, you had a time limit and the dog had to be done by that time (unless you'd informed the owner it would be longer than anticipated) but it was quite enjoyable at times. Except for the unfortunate anal gland incident, but the less said of that the better.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice