Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

dog groaning

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by shaunwill, Jun 27, 2013.

1. shaunwill

shaunwill PetForums Newbie

Hi all i have an 8 year old active red setter called jenson , when he moves to lie down he groans like an old man he does not appear to be in any pain . Could this be a joint problem ? .when we are out and about on our walk he is very active. Has anybody come across this before

2. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Does he do it every time?

Our Chessie does this quite often. He does have slight joint issues but he's always done it

3. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Its could be possible at 8 years he may be starting to have a bit of stiffness and a few arthritic changes going on. Often when they do, although there may not be any signs of limping as such and changes to exercise levels, when they rest after exercise you often begin to see signs of stiffness and discomfort when either rising after resting when they have had a run especially or lowering themselves to the restng position. If the groaning is something thats started recently and he didnt do it before then I would be a bit suspect.

Certainly worth getting him a check up including an orthopaedic exam if he hasnt had one for a goodwhile. The vet will check his joints, neck and spine and manipulate and extend them to see if there is any pain response or stiffness present.

4. tazsdad

tazsdad PetForums Senior

could be just contentment had a good time now lets settle down.pain moans sound different

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice