Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog Grass for Containers

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by fabbrindle, Sep 16, 2020.

1. fabbrindle

fabbrindle PetForums Junior

Can anyone recommend a particular grass I can grow in a container, for our dog please? We've a concrete backyard, but I know our dog likes to have a chomp on grass. I can't remove a slab as it's council property. Thanks in advance!

2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Go for one of the soft, medium leaved species. Yorkshire Fog (holcus lanatus) is a native variety, has medium green leaves, pretty purplish flowers and works well in a pot, and it's one my dogs select Another is Cocksfoot grass, which has darker leaves. You could have more than one sort, another VERY pretty one that my dogs would eat given half the chance is Mr Bowles Golden Grass - as the name suggests it has golden-yellow leaves. I have to keep it behind a fence for its own safety.

Twiggy, Torin. and JoanneF like this.
  3. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

You can remove a slab (or two) as long as you keep them and replace them if you ever move
    You could also apply to the council to allow you to change garden to your own choice
    Once you become a permeant tenant, which is normally after, 3m, 6m, or sometimes up to a year, most councils allow you to treat the house as your own, except for shared garden space (permission needed, as above) or anything structural

Torin., JoanneF and LinznMilly like this.
  4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Yes, if it's a house with a private garden area. I live in a street of council and ex-council houses. Brian, who lived over the road from me built a large outbuilding/workshop in his, about twice the size of my garage but he had to take it down and restore the ground when he and his wife moved.

mrs phas likes this.
  5. fabbrindle

fabbrindle PetForums Junior

Thank you so much! I've gone for all 3. I've ordered seeds for Yorkshire Fog and Cocksfoot grass. No seeds available so easily for Mr Bowles Golden Grass, so I've ordered an actual plant to start him off with. Exciting, thanks again.

Burrowzig likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice