Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog got attacked today :o(

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by pinkpuppy, Nov 24, 2012.

1. pinkpuppy

pinkpuppy PetForums Member

Hubby was out with our dog earlier and was working on his recall.

He went far end of an enclosed field where hubby can see any approaching dogs coming and therefore recall pup in enough time. He is coming on great, very proud of him.

Due to his over exciting playful behaviour we only allow free play with dogs he knows as he is very big and we are terrified he will hurt someone elses dog by being boisterous, not aggressive.

Hubby saw 2 dogs come over the hill and recalled our dog (he came!!) then a third dog appeared and all 3 of them pinned our dog down and went for his throat. No sign of their owner and hubby started shouting for them and trying to get them off our pup.... she eventually came into sight and eventually called them back from a distance.

She then scarpered away.... didn't check he was ok or apologies or anything. Think that is what has made my hubby so mad,.....and he is actually really mild mannered.

Anyway he has cuts below his eyes but seems pretty unphased thankfully.

We are trying so hard to ensure our pup is not a nuisance to others and yet have to have others do it to us. Just makes me annoyed. Rant over x:mad:

2. emmaviolet

emmaviolet PetForums VIP

Oh no, poor scully!:(

Sounds awful and cut near his eyes, bless him.

I can't believe the owner though, I'd be so annoyed too.

Give pup a cuddle from me.

3. pinkpuppy

Thank you lovely lady xxx

I should stop calling him pup now eh!! He was 1 a couple of weeks ago. So proud he didn't fight back. Glad it was hubby that was there and not me or the kids.

4. emmaviolet

emmaviolet PetForums VIP

Don't worry, Alfie will be 2 in jan yet he is still called pup/puppy nearly everyday!;)

I'm glad he seems unaffected, sometimes if they are bouncy and happy go lucky it can be they didn't even realise what was happening, well hopefully!

What a good boy, not fighting back. Clearly a little love!:)

5. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Horrible; did hubby get a good enough description of dogs and owner for the dog warden at all?

Hope your pup is OK and gets back out walking with calm, friendly dogs ASAP.

6. canuckjill

canuckjill PetForums VIP

I can understand her getting away from the scene, but she should have come back after putting her dogs away. I won't walk more than 2 of mine at a time, seems to me if one of my dogs reacted to a strange dog the other dogs I own would protect mine so I always err on the side of caution....I have had previous dogs go over and cause a kerfuffle and I always put my dogs in the car and go talk to the other owner apologizing etc.although its never been a fight always a waggy tail happy thing I understand others are also training their dogs...

7. pinkpuppy

Edited this.

I actually think we know who it is. But hubby can't be sure and i shouldn't mouth off who it is till i know for sure.

xxx

#7 pinkpuppy, Nov 24, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  8. koolchick

koolchick PetForums Senior

Poor pup hope he's ok. Not sure if the not fighting back is good or bad as in some cases fighting back could save him from getting hurt but not sure if its possible to train dogs to defend themselves when needed. Most dogs will fight back if needeed my last dog loved meeting other dogs to play and never shown any aggression and would avoid aggressive dogs rather than fight but if he couldn't avoid one he would fight back in self defence.

9. moonviolet

moonviolet PetForums VIP

I'm so sorry to hear your pup has had this horrible experience. I hope his injuries are superficial and heal quickly. I hope your OH isn't too shaken up by what he witnessed.

Please do consider reporting it to the dog warden or designated EHO with as clear a description as you can. They have be aware of these dogs adn their owner or at the very least be able to put something on file in case they are identified in the future.

What you have described is serious and if these dogs are allowed to repeat this behaviour they will likely escalate and the next dog or the one after may well be killed. It has the makings of a classic predatory drift attack.

Best wishes to your pupx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice