Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog good with other dogs but growled at puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by stascha15, Oct 14, 2013.

1. stascha15

stascha15 PetForums Junior

Hi, my 8 months old Whippet/ Cocker spaniel cross is usually very good with other dogs. He just loves to play chase and if a dog is bigger he is quite submissive with his body language. However, today we met a very young Collie puppy. My dog was suddenly really unfriendly and tried to nip the puppy and really had a go at him, growling! I have never seen him like this before. Does he just not like puppies? Or his he getting worse with other dogs generally because he is at that terrible "teenage stage"? Any advice or shared experiences would be great, thanks.

2. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

I wouldn't be too concerned about a little growl at a puppy, sometimes adult dogs use growling and nipping to teach the pup boundaries, sometimes it can look worse than it is because of the baring of the teeth.

3. Meezey

Meezey Slave to the Black & Tans and the Trundle Bugs.

Some dogs don't like puppies, a bit like people not liking children.

I'd also personally see nothing wrong with a dog growling at a puppy, puppies do need to learn manners... What was the pup doing to get a reaction like this?

4. Yorkiemorkiemum

Yorkiemorkiemum PetForums Senior

We found this when we bought a pup to be with our older dog when his brother died, now they're inseparable. I was terrified at first, I thought OMG we'll have to regime our puppy. What it is is that puppies just like toddlers are unpredictable and full of inrestrained energy and your dog is getting to the age where he knows his boundaries, puppies don't. The other comments are correct puppies learn from older dogs.

5. stascha15

stascha15 PetForums Junior

The puppy was jumping up at me to to say Hello. Maybe our dog was jealous? He just seemed to really go for the puppy, he didn't just stand there growling but kind of jumped at the puppy and looked like he tried to chase him away while growling and maybe nipping (puppy yelped, don't know if just scared or if our dog actually nipped). I found it just so out of character, he usually approaches ANY dog with a wagging tail, and normally HE is the one getting growled at if other dogs find him too full on or boisterous.

6. kateh8888

kateh8888 PetForums VIP

I wouldn't worry too much. When we had our pup, his ten year old 'uncle' told him off everyday and Jake still went back for more and still loves him.

I think Joey was just showing him what's what!

7. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

No dogs can't be jealous, that's humanising the dog. Yelping can be a sign the pup is just a little scared.

8. Yorkiemorkiemum

Yorkiemorkiemum PetForums Senior

I'm not sure you can say dogs can't be jealous. I have observed many occasions when my dogs have been jealous especially when one dog thinks the other is getting something he/she isn't. I was reading an article in 'Psychology today' on this very subject which noted that female dogs who have had littlers will'turn on 'their pups if they feel the owner is paying them more attention than her. Also owners of Husky dog packs in Canada who state that if you pat one dog you have to pat them all otherwise they will fight with each other.
    When we got our second Yorkie , who is now ten, our older one couldn't stand him. His mere presence in the room annoyed him. I do think they feel protective towards us and warn the pup to behave themselves. When we bought our Morkie our ten year was the same but was and still is jealous if the Morkie gets more attention. He will push himself in between us and our Morkie for attention. I was really worried about our older dogs behaviour because he would pin the little boy to the ground ect. I thinks it's until the pinger accepts his place and does as he is told. It's a hierarchy thing, not jealousy in the way humans have it more primeval. Dog hotel gave me some brilliant tips and they worked. My guys still have a go at each other over certain toys but our older boy is always given food first and treats first and it works. Don't worry it will be fine my boys are inseparable now!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice