Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

dog goes crazy when taking for walk

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by winston, Aug 19, 2009.

1. winston

winston PetForums Newbie

hello.. i have a 2 and a half year old female husky.

i have been walking her with a hulty for over a year and every time i try to put it on her she starts barking and yelping and running and jumping and going crazy.. when she is on the hulty she is fine..

i know she is just excited, and i know she doesnt really like the hulty.. i just want to calm her down and put the hulty on her without it taking 10 minutes or without me getting angry and frustrated at her..

any help...

2. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

I had this problem with my doberman and I used to make him sit, if he didn't sit and stay sat while I put his halti on I would just walk away and hand it back up, wait til a few mins til he was calm again then try again. To stat with it would take a while to get him ready but now he realises he only gets to go out for a walk if he sits and is good. :D

Hope that ,makes sense and helps a little

Colliepoodle likes this.
  3. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

Agree with this ^^^

He has to learn that only being calm will result in the Halti going on and going for a walk.

4. staflove

staflove PetForums VIP

It will take longer than 10 mins when you go put the halti on and she dose this take it of her and waite ask for a sit and try again she dose not go anywere till she is calm, it could take an hour but she will get what your asking her just dont give in.

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

It might be an idea to practice pulling the halti on and off within the house, and not just when getting ready for a walk.

Is she getting excited because she associates the halti with going for a walk, or because she doesnt like wearing it?

When i first started using one, i made mine wear it on and off within the house for about 2 weeks. I started of just by putting the loop over the nose and giving a treat. Then built up to doing it up fully, giving a treat then taking it off. I slowly built up the amount of time my dog wore it, so he felt comfortable in it. He was rewarded with a treat when it went on, and when it came off. Whilst it was on, i played with him and made a fuss so that he would associate the halti with nice things and praise, as many dogs seem to be under the impression its an instrument of torture.

You need to master the sit and wait commands for this to work. It does talk patience.

6. staflove

staflove PetForums VIP

If the dog is not used to the halti then he needs training just like muzzel trianing show him the halti and give top reward treat then put the halti away keep doing this untill the dog sees the halti and tail wags as he will then get a good association in his head this is a good thing, then put it on count to 20 and the take it of reward with a treat keep doing this you can do it 20 times in one night he will learn this is good :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice