Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog getting up super early!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Ella’s Dad, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Ella’s Dad

Ella’s Dad PetForums Junior

Hi folks, I hope you’re all doing well.

My dog currently sleeps in her crate and has been getting me up earlier and earlier of late (just after 5am this morning). She used to be a great sleeper and would often sleep in until 8am if undisturbed.

I’ve wondered if it’s to do with the fact that her last toilet break is typically at dinner time, but I also let her out before we go to bed and she just isn’t interested. Additionally, she doesn’t always do her business when I let her out in the morning so I don’t think that’s the issue - she just wants to run about daft!

Does anyone have any ideas that might help? I’ve been thinking of transitioning from crate sleeping and letting her sleep in the bedroom beside me but last time I tried that she kept jumping up on the bed which I’m not keen on. Eventually I got so tired that I gave up and put her back in her crate!

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

What sometimes works is to pre-empt her by setting your alarm and taking her out at 5.00 am for a few nights, then push it forward to 5.15 for a few, then 5.30 for a few and so on. The idea is that if she anticipates being taken out, she will wait.

3. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Can you put her crate in the bedroom?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice