UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been on here for a long time, but I need some advice. My dog is a 3 year old westie-bichon cross. 99% of the time he is perfectly behaved, perfectly placid dog. My niece & nephew (11 and 7) are around him all the time and he's fine with them.
However, when my other siblings come home from overseas with their kids, he gets very agitated when they run around and shout, etc. He tries to chase them and snap at their ankles. As a result, I usually hold him or have him on a lead when they are there. Anyway, I do work and they are coming home at times when I can't take time off. I am worried how to get him out of this behaviour because I don't want him to hurt one of them. Why does he get so agitated when they run around like that? How can I stop this?
Thanks for your help

·
Registered
14,447 Posts
Personally I'd speak to your relatives and explain that your dog isn't used to young children and therefore could they therefore exercise some parental control, before one of them gets bitten. It's not fair on your dog in my view.

My sister has had similar problems in the past with her grandchildren and on occasions has resorted to putting her dogs in a bedroom or in the car out of the way.

·
Registered
6,286 Posts
He just wants to join in the fun ;)

At the ages these children are they are old enough to be told and have it explained to them. Any way what are they doing running around and shouting in some one elses house :D

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you are both right, they should be told but they are not and of course, I have no say because I don't have kids so what would I know?! It's very frustrating :(

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
I haven't been on here for a long time, but I need some advice. My dog is a 3 year old westie-bichon cross. 99% of the time he is perfectly behaved, perfectly placid dog. My niece & nephew (11 and 7) are around him all the time and he's fine with them.
However, when my other siblings come home from overseas with their kids, he gets very agitated when they run around and shout, etc. He tries to chase them and snap at their ankles. As a result, I usually hold him or have him on a lead when they are there. Anyway, I do work and they are coming home at times when I can't take time off. I am worried how to get him out of this behaviour because I don't want him to hurt one of them. Why does he get so agitated when they run around like that? How can I stop this?
Thanks for your help
At a guess I would say that the 11 and 7 year old are probably calmer, move slower and are less noisy and probably all round more dog savvy.

Kids that run around are loud and hyper tend to either hype dogs up and make them over excited as well, or the dog will become anxious stressed and can chase and nip in a defensive way. Obviously best way is to teach the kids more respect for the dog and parental control.

Failing that I would give him his own space if he needs to go there using a baby gate, put his bed in there some toys especially things like self amusing ones like kongs and chews, and give him his own space when he looks like he is getting hyped up or stressed by it all and their behaviour. There are ways round it and things that can help, but the kids will have to co-operate in the first place before you can do anything. If they or the parents are not going to then there is not a lot you can do really.

G

·
you are both right, they should be told but they are not and of course, I have no say because I don't have kids so what would I know?! It's very frustrating :(
If they are in your house then it's your rules, full stop, no excuses!

·
Registered
13,811 Posts
I get agitated when kids run around making a rukkus so would imagine my dogs would too. Difference is I wouldn't allow this kind of behaviour in MY house. If it upsets the dogs it upsets me so they'd be told to calm down for all our sakes. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.