Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

dog friendly places in north east?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by mstori, Apr 6, 2011.

1. mstori

mstori PetForums VIP

Hi
    I live in washington.. thats tyne and wear.. not usa lol
    As we do not have transport we have to use public transport so wondered if anyone had any suggestions for dog friendly places? Would hate to get somewhere to find out we couldnt even grab a cuppa..

I know there is a cafe in sunderland city centre that allows dogs, so wanted the same sort of thing, but where there are lovely walks, and we could stop off for a snack. Would be especially great if there were some kind of kids play area (my kids are 8 and 12 so not ickle)

Thanks in advance
    Tori :)

2. Blondie

Blondie PetForums VIP

Ditsy may be able to help with this one, as she lives quite near you, wait till she spots the thread, lol! ;)

3. mstori

mstori PetForums VIP

ooh great, hopefully can recommend somewhere we hadnt thought of :)

Luckily there are amazing walks where we live, but want reuben to get used to buses too..

4. mstori

mstori PetForums VIP

found this site : dogwalks.co.uk

can anyone suggest any more? thanks

5. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

6. mstori

mstori PetForums VIP

oooh!! shopping and doggy time together!?! does life get better :D

will deffo check that out thanks!!

my OH is from round that way and said he knows it, so think we need to pop over in school holidays, take kids and have a family day out (as soon as get the stupid new kids bus passes lol) :) x

7. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

I know :eek: It's heaven :lol:

There's a couple of pubs around there that do 'dog days' over the summer. Everyones welcome to take their dog in and there's all sorts of things like artists doing caricatures and daft games and stuff. There's one in particular but I can't think of the name now - I'll tell you tomorrow, my dad'll remember

Em
    xx

8. mstori

mstori PetForums VIP

cool! that would be great thanks :)

sooo looking forward to being able to get reu out! (and me lol) x

9. jools252

jools252 PetForums Newbie

hi you might already know about saltwell park its a lovely walk round a gated dog play area n picnic bench where the dogs can play off lead also a cafe with water stops for the dogs a very friendly dog park its in gateshead by the way x

10. Dwavid

Dwavid PetForums Member

Not sure on the type of dog you have, but if it is a large dog or very energetic then I'd give Saltwell Park a miss. I went there last year and found a very tiny dog area (not big enough to be called a dog park) apart for that small enclosed area your dog has to be leashed in all other areas of the park.
    On the day I was there I saw most people sat chatting away whilst their dog/s where running amuck in the dog area not being supervised in their behavior towards people (jumping up) or other dog (dominance).

I'm assuming you have been to Herrington Country Park, I find that is a nice walk and it has the kids play area and cafe there. It is also a short bus ride from Washington.

Dogs are welcome at Beamish - Beamish, The Living Museum of the North

I mainly walk my dogs in woodland, bridleways, off-path walks, in other words away from people/children, shops, cars etc. which is the opposite of the type of walk it seems you are looking for.

I did find this website though regarding dog walks & places to go etc. it has quite a few web links for dog friendly places to visit.
    Durham dog friendly uk, best dog travel website uk, dogs welcome | Phileas Dogg

11. MollySmith

MollySmith PetForums VIP

Gibside is amazing, hopefully you'll have a bus from you. It's National Trust but once you've joined you can go as often as you like. I have taken my grandmother's late dog there and we had lots of fun. Also Souter Lighthouse, all Leas is dog friendly but I'd suggest a lead as the cliffs do drop away and the fence isn't secure at the edge.

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/gibside/how-to-get-here/

12. Danielle85

Danielle85 PetForums Newbie

I have a Facebook page advertising dog friendly shops, restaurants & cafes in the north east - feel free to check it out by searching on Facebook for 'north east dog friendly shops and cafes' (I am unable to post a link on here unfortunately).
    There is also a link to a map showing all the places we are aware of and a website (northeastdogfriendlyshopsandcafes dot com)

13. steveshanks

steveshanks PetForums VIP

Thanks for the heads up on Beamish, I love that place and did wonder about dogs.

14. Sarahlou444

Sarahlou444 PetForums Member

I second beamish, great for a walk with the dog.

There's a lovely dog friendly cafe in Dunston staithes as well that I often stop at after a walk along the quayside to Newcastle and back.

15. Sarahlou444

Sarahlou444 PetForums Member

I also like plessey woods but that's up bedlington way so might be tricky for public transport buts it's a nice walk and there is a cafe and play area for the kids.

16. TheHounds

TheHounds PetForums Newbie

Try takethedog.co.uk

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice