Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog friendly beach and walking in Dorset / Hampshire

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by ChatterPuss, Apr 3, 2011.

1. ChatterPuss

ChatterPuss PetForums VIP

We are hoping to go away over Easter to the New Forest for a few days ( my parents have a caravan there).
    We would love to take our pup ( 5 month springer) to the beach as he has never been before. I know they are only allowed at certain times and in certain area. Before we had him we used to take the children to Avon beach at Mudeford. Does anyone down there know where it would be best to take him and where we could let him off! Also as Hengistbury head is classed as a nature reserve, where are they allowed?
    thanks

2. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I know some of the beaches are restricted between 1st May and 30th September but I'm not sure which bits.
    Dogs are allowed in the cafe at Avon beach though.
    Not sure about Hengistbury head - if there are ground nesting birds it will probably dogs on lead in certain areas.
    The new forest is great for exploring - and Brokenhurst has a fantastic cake shop with the biggest chicolate eclairs you've ever seen.

3. pickle

pickle PetForums Senior

I was interested to read this as I am going away to Dorset (Lyme Regis area) in August and I was wondering about this.
    As a "by the way" however I have heard via my dog paper that 2 dogs went over cliffs in Dorset recently. Believe me, Treacle will not be off lead anywhere till I am 100% certain that it is safe.

4. ChatterPuss

Sounds like that needs a visit !!!!!!!:)

5. ChatterPuss

Thanks will make sure he is safe near any cliffs !

6. JoinTheChase

JoinTheChase PetForums Junior

There's a pebble beach near key haven / milford on sea (not too far from lymington). I was there last week, and there were tons of dogs there.

7. ChatterPuss

I thought I had read that it was restricted from April to sept so thought we could take him on 29th / 30th March and then Hengestbury Head 1st / 2nd April :):)

8. Fleur

It says on this site 1st of may :)
    Avon Beach :: The Beach

Also HighCliffe is lovely - the beach is dog friendly all year and there is a lovely castle with a really nice tea-room - dogs can sit outside, pretty garden and a small conservation/walking area from the castle you can walk down to the beach.

9. ChatterPuss

That's great ! I've just realised that this year is flying faster than I thought as I was thinking we were away at the end of March / beginning of April only to just realise that's already gone Lol !

My kids adore Avon beach so that will be great as we can stop for coffee there too !
    Are dogs allowed on the Ferry from Mudeford/Christchurch to Hengestbury
    Head?

10. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

We took Holly to Milford-on-Sea mid March, and we generally take her all year around. We also go to Barton-on-Sea, which is just a bit further along.

In the New Forest, we normally pull off at Wilverly Plains, which is just off Brockenhurst, heading towards Burley and Sway. She loves it, there's a big fenced wooded area, and also the open plains :)

We generally drive to Henglesbury Head, rather than to Mudeford, and just play along the top :) However we went autumn last year, so not sure on times when dogs are allowed tbh.

11. Fleur

I'm pretty sure dogs are allowed on the ferry. It might be worth a phone call to check.

12. ChatterPuss

Had a look on the website and they are allowed on the ferry !
    Thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice