Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog fostering?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by GSDlover4ever, Oct 29, 2014.

1. GSDlover4ever

GSDlover4ever PetForums VIP

I was wondering if you would share some of your stories good and bad about fostering dogs. :)

Sadly my GSD passed away quite suddenly a few months ago. I am not sure if I am ready for my own dog yet, however I have been thinking about fostering a dog from a rescue.

I wondering how my westie Maisy will react to another dog coming into the house... :)
    I think she actually might like a wee boy terrier to play with. :)

2. Paula07

Paula07 PetForums VIP

I loved fostering! Heartbreaking at times but very rewarding and good fun. Some were cracking dogs that I struggled to part with and others were little terrors.....that I struggled to part with :eek:. I learnt a lot from my fosters and I would never have my soul boy Nicky if I hadn't decided to foster all those years ago :).

Im sorry to hear about your girl :(.

3. mom3dog

mom3dog PetForums Newbie

Hi. I have fostered quite a lot the past few years. At times it does get a little trying, but also fun. It can be hard to give them up, but you have to keep in mind that it is opening up a spot for another needy dog. I have fostered two "hospice" dogs, old and ill, just giving them love for the last months. I have also had all other ages.
    If you are a dog lover, it is a very rewarding experience.

4. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

Sorry about your GSD I can imagine they leave a big void to try & fill such loyal dogs.

Pru came as a foster, initially for 6-8 weeks as the kennels were being rebuilt & they needed temporary homes. She was delivered to us by volunteers as the rescue isn't local, but my greys are fairly laid back & social so wasn't too concerned about them accepting another, the homechecker brought one of her dogs to check. The rescue covered vets bills & could reclaim food costs if needed.

We ended up keeping Pru after we'd had her nearly a year, we found it really difficult past about 6 months with not getting attached & I don't think it helped she had few inquiries to act as a reminder so it felt like a bit of an emotional rollercoaster with each. Definitely need to stick to short term fosters in future, I did enjoy seeing Pru change and getting her out & about places.
    Early on she & throp had few minor scraps & bit of damage at home (got a crate). I doubt we'd have picked Pru to adopt if didn't have that emotional connection, she can be a PITA with some dogs so doesn't make life easy but is amazing in other ways.We actually had no intention of getting a 3rd dog at start. That's the biggest risk that you fail & end up with not quite what you had in mind, but that can be a good thing.

Our 2nd foster was just to help rescue out in an emergency. It didn't really work out as despite picking foster up from kennel & walking with Pru and it all being fine for first few days, foster had snarked at all 3 dogs and felt was a real risk of a scrap & separation wasn't great for fosterdog plus personal issues decided it was better for all for her to return to rescue after 2 weeks. Sometimes just not the right fit but It wasn't a waste though I found out more about what she was like & got some better photos of her.

I had a friends GSD for a fortnights holiday recently and I would like to foster again in future, but think I'm going to stick to what I know with greyhounds rather than lurchers.

#4 2Hounds, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  5. BoredomBusters

BoredomBusters PetForums VIP

6. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice