Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog food

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Boston, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Boston

Boston PetForums Member

Right i need some suggestions my dogs are very fusses with food and they are driving me mad:eek:ut: i cant get them to stick to one kind of brand and they wont eat complete without meat on it.

I dont like to use food tested on animals but i have had no choice as i just had to try alsorts if i find a complete they like and meat they will eat it for a few weeks maybe even a couple of month and then decided not to eat it.

I have tried the picking the bowls up after so long or if they dont eat it tough luck and finding something in the cupboards that i can put on to get them to eat.
    They all get an hours walk each per day sometime more when im not at work
    they are all healthy and in good body condition all happy dogs.

Over the last few years we have tried
    Fish 4 dogs
    James wellbeloved
    burns
    royal canine
    wagg
    pedigree
    barf/raw food
    asda home brand food
    skinners
    Autarky
    Hilife
    Chudley
    Nature diet
    and lots of different dog meats and things like sardines.

yes i know some of these are crappy brands but i dont have much choice at the moment,
    they are on a small bite cheap complete the local pet shop sells they have been on this for 3 months maybe 4 and have not deicded they dont like it and wont eat it.
    Im getting to the point wear im buying smoked fish from asda to put on it to get them to eat it and then most of the time they just pick the fish or dog meat out and leave the complete food.
    They get 1 treat each day and no more they are not over fed i dont know what else to try help any suggestions welcome. :)

2. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

I have Royal Cannin for my 3 Chihuahua's, and James Wellbeloved for my two older bigger dogs. When they go through the "im not eating that stuff", then I put a little less in their bowls and keep putting it down for each meal, if they dont touch it I pick it up and give it back for the next meal. The reason I dont put much in their bowls when they get picky is because after a day of putting it down and picking it back up it isnt going to go off, so I am able to keep it for the next day, if they still dont eat after the dinner time, then I will throw it away, but there is not alot of waste if you put a little in the bowl until they start to eat again.. I keep doing this until they start to eat again. You dog will eat again, he wont go hungry. but if you keep putting differenet types down for him you are helping him to learn to be fussy eater. put it down and leave it. stick to one type and keep to it. Have you tried to put in a little tuna mixed into it. ( when I have put this in then I do throw away any food left that day as it will go off with the fish in it.).;):D

3. Boston

Boston PetForums Member

Hi
    thanks for posting so fast sadly they wont eat tuna tried that one lol
    i have 7 dogs so its hard to just leave it down as one of my dog is food aggressive as she is a rotty cross and i cant risk her getting one of my chihuahuas or springer.
    I will try cutting the meals down a bit thats a good idea i just dont like to not let them eat as they only have the 1 meal a day.
    They are just driving me mad at the moment lol :D
    thanks

4. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

You say you have 7 dogs - is it all 7 dogs that are fussy? If it is I wouldnt be looking at them as to why they are not eating - I would look to your feeding routine. Having this many dogs that wont eat is just not right.
    If its just the one my personal recommendations are Burns and Orijen - Orijen will be too dear id expect but they absolutely hoover it up.

5. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

My GR got a bit fussy when he was younger and the Alpha brand, particularly the Original/Original Extra/Gold ones went down a treat. I'm looking for another food for him now as I'm worried he has an allergy to it, but he does well on it and he looks really well.

It costs around £10 for a 15kg bag and as it is a museli kind of thing it suited him through his fussy phase, they have photos of what is included on their site:

A comprehensive range of complete dog foods

The food is originally for gun dogs but my Dad gives it to his westie as she was a fussy beggar and liked the same one Rupert did.

6. Boston

Boston PetForums Member

Hi no not really all 7 of them are fusses mainly the little ones my springer will eat most things put infront of her my rotty cross isnt to bad maybe i should have worded my first post better sorry.
    I will have a look at orijen im not really bothered on price as long as they will eat the food it would be even better if they didnt have to have meat on it and would just eat the complete.

Hi thanks for the link i will have a look my lot sound a bit like your dads they all seem to like to eat the same food my other 6 dogs like to share and eat out off each other bowls.:)

7. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

To be honest i think you might have contributed to the dogs being fussy, mine have been fed burns for 4 years and if they went off it hey would go hungry as i would never feed anything else if i can just contradict that they would'nt go hungry no dog will.

8. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

i agree that i think you may be contributing to your own problem.

chopping and changing foods all the time will just confuse the dogs and they will soon realise that if they stop eating something, that maybe something else will come along.

i have never had a fussy dog, coz i dont believe there is such a thing. its the same as children. they dont eat their greens, so they dont get anything else and get the greens again the next day. eventually they eat them.

pick one dog food and stick to your guns! put it in the bowl and they will eat it when they are hungry enough.
    a dog would never starve itself if there was food on offer!

9. chestersmum

chestersmum PetForums Senior

Hi

Oh dear this sounds like the situation I was in recently. My miniature schnauzer is incredibly fussy i tried most of the ones you listed, plus most recently Burns which made him really ill. He seems to have settled on Wainwrights - which i bought at pets a home. I know its not the best out there but its not the worse either and its affordable. He was ok on their own brand in the silver bags but the main ingredient in the one I got was maize so have weaned chester off that one. I would eventually like to get him onto barking heads but will stick with wainwrights for a while to get his belly back to normal (which has only just happened really last night/this morning).

I really hope you get your dogs sorted soon, because it is worrying

Nikki
    x

10. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I have recently changed mine to partially raw food. Its only taken me 5 years to get William to eat raw meat and he'll only eat chicken mince nothing else. He would literally starve himself if I didn't give him something he ate and he's never had the weight on to be able to not eat for a few days.

If mine don't eat their food it gets taken away I don't find something else in the cupboard to add that they will eat they have it back for their tea. Tegan was not to sure about the raw meat but after a few days of doing without she has decided to eat it.

If you keep changing their food they willl never eat one all the time. They have most likely learnt that if they refuse to eat they will get someting tasty added to their dinner. I would leave their bowls down for 15 minutes and if they haven't eaten it by the end of that time I would take the bowls away and give it to them for their next meal whenever that is the next day or later in the day depending on how often you feed your dogs. Mine are fed twice a day so if they refuse it in the morning they get it back that night.

11. Mese

Mese PetForums VIP

I use Skinners field and trial maintenance for my three BC's , and they are thriving on it
    Its £15 for a 15kg sack , and that lasts my three (all have two meals a day) a month

12. Boston

Boston PetForums Member

Hi

thanks everbody for your comments i do leave there food down for 30 minutes as it takes the chows longer to eat and if they havent eaten i do pick it back up.
    The food i have tried is over like a matter for 4 odd years not in the last year or anything.

Before they started getting fussy they all use to have a middle of the range complete food with a bit of cold water on and a lump of tripe which they loved when we moved they stopped making the food as it was done local and since then we havent been able to get them to eat anything for more than a few months.

My oldest chih girl had refussed food for the last 3 days because im trying to stick to the food they are on and get the bag finished i dont think its a case of if she is hungry she will eat and wont starve herself.

I have a localish animal feed shop that im going to in the morning and they do quite a few different brands so anybody with fussy dogs who have suggestion would be good.

Thanks everbody for comments so far :)

13. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

Just to mention if there is a dominant dog trying to eat thiers and everybody elses, they not might be fussy but trying to avoid any repercussions if they dont give their food up. If this is the case you have to be very frim with the dominant one and make it plain simple they are not to take others food. You can either confront like this or keep their attention whilst others are eating (id do this one first personally) If that doesnt work remove the dominant dog and keep an eye that out that the others arent following suit - correct where necessary ;)

14. RockenRobin

RockenRobin PetForums Newbie

You can not go wrong with Applaws dry dog food. I have tried everything else including Orijen and Applaws is the only food my dog will eat. It is not the cheapest but you get what you pay for and it contains 75% chicken and 25% vegetables. Encore dry food is also an excellent brand which you can find in larger branches of Sainsbury’s. You can get a sample of the Applaws dry dog free of charge by just by phoning them on 0800 083 0599

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice